LANGUARD

 

RFA Barkol after 1948 as Languard

 

Previous name:                Thames Conservancy Hopper No.3. Port of London Hopper No.3
Subsequent name:            Landguard

Official Number:                110038

Class:                                ex-PLA HOPPER

Pennant No:                      X-04

Laid down:
Builder:                              Simmons & Co., Renfrew
Launched:                         29 September 1898
Into Service:                      16 November 1916
Out of service:                   1920
Fate:                                   Sold out of service. Broken up May 1957

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:   As WW1 progressed, the demand for fuelling ships became more acute and the six vessels in this Class were all formerly PLA Hoppers, used for working with the dredgers in London. They lent themselves to rapid conversion into tankers by plating over the bottom sludge door joints and by installing a pipeline and a pump. They were all coal burners that had been built on the River Clyde and after acquisition by the Admiralty, they were renamed after salient features of the River Thames and their new names used the leading parts of the names of London boroughs. In 1920 they were all returned to the PLA and they resumed their previous names. They are all recorded in official records as Royal Fleet Auxiliaries

 

29 September 1898  launched by Wm Simons & Co, Renfrew as Yard Nr 356 named THAMES CONSERVANCY HOPPER No 3 for the Conservators of the River Thames,  London

October 1898 completed

31 July 1905 at Dockyard Buoy, Woolwich Reach - Fireman Henry Moxom discharged dead - natural causes

1909 renamed PORT OF LONDON AUTHORITY HOPPER No 3 by the Port of London Authority, London

16 November 1916 chartered by the Admiralty, converted into a tanker and renamed RFA BARKOL, The Admiralty paid for hire of this ship at £163 per month

27 January 1917 Lieutenant Edward A Brown RNR appointed in command

12 July 1917 Lieutenant Samuel Williams RNR appeared before a court martial charged with (a) Negligently or by default stranding his Majesty's Royal Fleet Auxiliary Barkol and (b) Drunk on board. The charges were adjudged to be proved.  He was adjudged to be dismissed his ship

5 November 1917 Engineer Lieutenant Colin S Prentice RNR appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

8 January 1918 she was at Berehaven while HMS/m H 5 took over 2500 gals oil

26 February 1918 again at Berehaven HMS/m H 8 returned from patrol and came alongside the oiler

29 March 1918 at 21:30h arrived Campbeltown

30 March 1918 from 07:30h - 10:25h was alongside depot ship HMS PLATYPUS

31 March 1918 at 16:30h left Campbeltown under escort

22 November 1918 at Rosyth berthed alongside HMS CARADOC to refuel her with 83 tons FFO

Caradoc HMS

HMS CARADOC

30 December 1918 at Rosyth berthed alongside HMS CASTOR

15 January 1919 at Rosyth berthed alongside HMS CASTOR

1920 returned to her owners and resumed her previous name

1929 purchased by Ipswich Dock Commission, Ipswich and renamed LANDGUARD

1935 purchased by London & North Eastern Railway Co, Harwich name unchanged

1946 now based at Harwich

1 January 1948 nationalised and owners became part of the British Transport Commission, Eastern Region, Harwich name unchanged

May 1957 broken up at Bruges by Jacques Bakker & Zonen

Additional information

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.