Hebe 1962

Reproduced with permission of the MOD

 

 

RFA Hebe

 

 

Previous name:
Subsequent name:                 Good Guardian, Guardian,  Wafa

Official Number:                    304252

Class:                                  HEBE CLASS Stores Freighter

Pennant No:                          A406

Laid down:                            18 April 1961
Builder:                                 Henry Robb, Leith
Launched:                             7 March 1962
Into Service:                          6 April 1962
Out of service:                       December 1978
Fate:                                    Returned to owners on cancellation of charter

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:   The proposed charter of the two Admiralty-designed vessels in this Class was announced in September 1960 and they were built specifically for Admiralty sea freighting duties. They were designed to carry the greater proportion of their bulk cargo of naval stores in specially designed containers by Chatham Dockyard which were known as chacons, thus setting a pattern of containerisation which was followed in ever-increasing steps in the commercial world. The two ships were built on tanker lines, with machinery spaces and superstructures aft, so leaving  three large holds and tween decks forward, with No 3 tween-deck having two refrigerated spaces and facilities for twelve refrigerated containers. They initially maintained a U.K. - Gibraltar - Malta - Aden - Singapore service and after the closure of the Suez Canal in 1967 they went via the Cape of Good Hope, with frequent calls at Simonstown. Neither of them had any replenishment at sea capability  and when completed they were bare-boat chartered from their commercial owners for a period of ninetween years.

 

7 March 1962 launched by Henry Robb Ltd, Leith as Yard Nr: 482 named HEBE for British India Steam Navigation Co Ltd, London. Named after the Goddess of Youth and Cup Bearer to the Gods and daughter of Juno. The Lady Sponsor was Mrs F.C.  Wilkins, wife of the Director of  Stores. She was the 1st  vessel to be built on the recently extended berth at the Victoria Shipyards and also the longest 

6 April 1962 completed

18 June 1962 bare-boat chartered by the Admiralty to replace RFA FORT BEAUHARNOIS

20 June 1962 Mr Ernest S R Bunker RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

22 October 1962 Captain Albert E Curtain OBE RD RFA (Commander RNR) appointed as Master

29 December 1962 at Chatham Dockyard tug TID 97 sunk in Basin 3 while berthing RFA HEBE. Three of the tugs crew, the Master, Leslie Savage, the mechanic George Osbourne and the stoker William Gell all drowned. The tug was raised by RFA SWIN on 4 January 1963

16 July 1963 Captain A S McWilliam RFA appointed as Master

15 January 1964 was ordered to Zanzibar along with the frigates HM ships OWEN and RHYL to evacuate British subjects

17 January 1964 entered Zanzibar harbour and embarked 43 passengers and 2 tons of luggage 

18 January 1964 with HMS OWEN rescued 140 refugees from Zanzibar after a revolutionary coup there. Those rescued were landed at Mombasa and included 126 British subjects and their baggage

1 March 1964 again stood by to assist in the evacuation of British nationals during the revolution in Zanzibar

2 June 1964 at Chatham

16 June 1964 Captain G P MacDougall RFA appointed as Master

30 November 1964 Mr Denis G P Wells RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

2 December 1964 at Plymouth

31 August 1965 Captain A L Paterson RFA appointed as Master

11 November 1965 Mr J A Swallow RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

13 May 1966 Captain Charles W P Sumner RFA appointed as Master

12 August 1966 Mr J Edge RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

14 November 1966 Captain J P Gould RFA appointed as Master

January 1967 Humanitarian aid - freighted Oxfam Relief Stores to Cochin to assist in famine relief 

21 January 1967 sailed Singapore on her first direct passage to the U.K. on the first voyage carrying three aircraft below decks - a Sea Vixen, a Gannet and a Wessex

25 February 1967 Mr R E Davies RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

10 July 1967 berthed at Simonstown Dockyard, South Africa

24 August 1967 two 8 inch breach loading guns (1885 vintage) removed from Blankang Mati island, Singapore and loaded on Hebe for transportation to the UK for use as exhibits at the Royal Artillery Rotunda Museum, Woolwich (described in the Straits Times as 8.8 inch guns)

14 March 1968 berthed at Simonstown Dockyard, South Africa

15 May 1968 Captain D J Boyden RFA appointed as Master

30 May 1968 Mr S P Awatt RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

7 June 1970 at Mahe, Seychelles unloading stores and personel (clearance divers) embarked at Mauritius and which had arrived on that island from Singapore by Hercules. Sailed on completion for Gan with the Master and 15 Officers from RFA ENNERDALE (2) to embark on a flight to the UK

27 October 1970 berthed at Malta from Agrotini

2 March 1971 berthed at Simonstown Dockyard, South Africa

13 July 1971 berthed at Simonstown Dockyard, South Africa

21 September 1971 berthed at Simonstown Dockyard, South Africa

1 October 1971 P & O General Cargo Division, London were appointed her owners’ managers

14 December 1971 berthed at Simonstown Dockyard, South Africa 

28 February 1972 berthed at Simonstown Dockyard, South Africa

17 January 1973 owners became P & O Steam Navigation Co, London

23 September 1973 at Istanbul, Turkey

21 October 1973 in Royal Albert Dry Dock, London

6 February 1974 berthed at Simonstown Dockyard, South Africa

21 September 1974 berthed at Simonstown Dockyard, South Africa

4 November 1974 berthed at Simonstown Dockyard, South Africa

4 December 1974 at Chatham until 6 December 1974 when she sailed for Plymouth arriving the next day

8 December 1974 sailed for Gibraltar arriving on 11 December 1974 - berthed on the South Mole then to 41 berth

16 December 1974 sailed Gibraltar 1974 to Plymouth arriving on 19 December 1974 - sailed the same day to Chatham arriving the next day - along side until 26 January 1975

27 January 1975 sailed Chatham for the Far East 

28 January 1975 off the Channel Islands - the deck cargo had shifted.

3 February 1975 off Spanish Sahara - stopped between 0900hrs to 1200hrs for minor repairs

16 February 1975 anchored off Simonstown, South Africa - berthed at Simonstown until 19 February 1975 

19 February 1975 sailed Simonstown for Salalah arriving at 20:00hrs on 2 March 1975

2 March 1975 unloading at Salalah onto Mexifloats until 6 March 1975 

6 March 1975 sailed Salalah for Masirah arriving the next day

7 March 1975 at Masirah until 17 March 1975 when she sailed to Dubai arriving on 19 March 1975

20 March 1975 sailed Dubai for Singapore arriving on 31 March 1975 firstly anchored off and then made fast to a buoy in Sembawang Harbour

3 April 1975 moved to No 4 Basin, Singapore unloading - due to sail 7 April 1975 but this was delayed due to engine trouble

8 April 1975 sailed Singapore for Hong Kong arriving on 12 April 1975 to discharge

17 April 1975 sailed Hong Kong for Singapore.

20 April 1975 anchored off Mekong Delta RASed with HMS MERMAID awaited instructions from MOD to assist in evacuation of British subjects from Saigon. City fell to Communists - not required - sailed.

22 April 1975 berthed alongside at Singapore to load.

28 April 1975 sailed for Gan.

4 May 1975 arrived and anchored in Gan lagoon. Twice during this voyage had to anchor due to engine defects being repaired

8 May 1975 sailed Gan for Diego Garcia arrived next day.

9 May 1975 sailed Diego Garcia for Mauritius arriving Port Louis, Mauritius 12 May 1975

13 May 1975 sailed Port Louis, Mauritius for Simonstown, South Africa.

16 May 1975 stopped twice for engine repairs

1975 Hebe in Indian Ocean mechanical problem

RFA Hebe in the Indian Ocean with mechanical problems
Courtesy of RFA Nostalgia & 2nd Officer Mike Burley RFA

17 May 1975 stopped once for engine repairs

18 May 1975 stopped three times for engine repairs

20 May 1975 arrived Simonstown, South Africa

21 May 1975 at Simonstown, South Africa loading bunkers, fresh water and more engine repairs

22 May 1975 sailed Simonstown, South Africa for Marchwood

24 May 1975 stopped for one hour for engine repairs - and again on 2 June 1975

11 June 1975 berthed at Chatham - visit to Marchwood cancelled

20 June 1975 at Chatham

11 September 1975 at Chatham

25 October 1975 at Singapore

5 February 1976 at Gibraltar

24 August 1976 Captain Shane Redmond RFA appointed as Master

Captain_Shane_Redmond_OBE_crop

Captain Shane Redmond RFA

8 February 1977 Captain Michael Corner RFA appointed as Master

April 1978 sailed from Hong Kong for the last time

30 November 1978 severly damaged by arson at Gibraltar. Donkeyman Greaser Leslie Mason discharged dead - he died from asphyxia from the inhalation of toxic fumes and from burns

December 1978 was declared a constructive total loss. Her charter was cancelled and she was returned to her owners

8 June 1979 purchased by Good Luck Navegante SA (Good Faith Shipping Co SA, Managers), Piraeus

13 June 1979 now renamed GOOD GUARDIAN, she sailed from Gibraltar in tow of GOOD HERALD for repairs in Greece

20 June 1979 arrived Piraeus for repairs

1981 purchased by Poseidon Shipping Co SA (Seafarer Navigation Co SA, Managers), Piraeus and her name was abbreviated to GUARDIAN

January 1983 sailed Houston bound for Alexandria but ...

24 February 1983 arrived at Casablanca and was laid up, reportedly under arrest

1987 purchased by Moroccan-flag interests and renamed WAFA

16 September 1987 arrived Famagusta, Cyprus for breaking up.

 

 

Ships of the same name

 

 

Hebe. A 5th rate of 1,063 bm and 38 guns captured from the French in September 1782 by HMS Rainbow off Ile de Bas.  Renamed “Blonde” on the 24 December 1805.  Broken up in June 1811.

Battle Honours for this Vessel: ST LUCIA, EGYPT 1801.

 

 

Hebe. 5th Rate of 658 bm and 32 guns built and launched by Deptford Dockyard on the 31 December 1804.  Sold out of service on the 28 April 1813.

 

Hebe. A 5th rate of 46 guns and 1,078 bm, launched by Woolwich Dockyard.  152 x 40 feet armed with 16 x 32 pdr carronade, 28 x 18 pdr, 2 x 9 pdr.  Became a receiving ship in 1839 and then a hulk in 1861.  Broken up at Chatham in March 1873.

 

Hebe. A torpedo gunboat of 810 tons built by Sheerness Dockyard and launched on the 15 June 1892.  230 x 27 feet armed with 2 x 4.7 inch, 4 x 3 pdr and 3 torpedo tubes.  The ship was undocked on the 15 June 1892, became a minesweeper in 1909 and a depot ship in 1910.  Sold to Ward, Preston on the 22 October 1919.

 

Hebe. A minesweeper of 835 tons by Devonport Dockyard, launched on the 28 October 1936, 230 x 33.5 feet, armed with 2 x 4 inch guns.  Sunk on the 22 November 1943, when she struck a mine off Bari.

Battle Honours for this Vessel: DUNKIRK 1940, ARCTIC 1941-42, MALTA CONVOYS 1942, SICILY 1943.

 

 

hickorol1
hickorol1a

 

 


Subsequent name:               Hemsley II  Grammos  Ardenza  Pannesi

Official Number:                    142314

Class:                                   SECOND 1,000 t  CREOSOL CLASS Harbour Oiler

Pennant No:                          X29

Laid down:
Builder:                                 McMillan, Dumbarton
Launched:                             30 November 1917
Into Service:                          March 1918
Out of service:                      1948 Sold commercially
Fate:                                      Broken up

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:  On the outbreak of WW1, the Admiralty embarked on a further programme of tanker construction for the newly-formed RFA Service. Eventually there were eighteen ships in this Class, twelve of which were named after trees with the OL suffix, while the remainder had names connected with the oil industry also with the OL suffix. Four of the Class were diesel engined and were sold after the Armistice but the rest, being triple expansion steamers, had long and successful lives

 

4 November 1917 Engineer Lieutenant William Cornell RNR appointed as Chief Engineer Officer. He was demobilised on 22 April 1919

30 November 1917 launched by A. Macmillan & Sons Ltd, Dumbarton as Yard Nr: 470 named HICKOROL.

18 January 1918 Lieutenant Frank J Delamotte RNR appointed in command

25 February 1918 registered in Admiralty ownership

17 April 1919 Mr W L Rathbone RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer. He previously had served in RFA Barkol. He was demobilised on 30 August 1919

6 May 1919 involved as oiler with British and US mine sweepers removing the 'Northern Barrage' - the series of mine fields laid across the northern North Sea to restrict the passage of German U-Boats assisted by RFA‘s ASPENLEAF, CRENELLA and PETRONEL

On or after 1 July 1919 Leading Stoker Benjamin WIlliams MMR 736894 logged as deserting (no exact date shown for his desertion). He had signed on on 12 April 1919

11 August 1919 Engineer Lieutenant Peter Low RNR appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

23 September 1919 ceased to be engaged as an oiler for the Mine Sweepers engaged in removing the 'Northern Barrage'

7 October 1919 berthed at Portsmouth from sea

11 November 1919 Ordinary Seaman Cyril F C Black MMR 938468 logged as deserting from the ship. He had signed on the ship on 21 February 1918. He surrendered on 27 December 1919 and was admitted to Whipps Cross Hospital, Leyton, London E10 on 29 December 1919

Cyril Black

Ordinary Seaman Cyril Black MMR 938468

18 November 1919 Stoker J Wilson logged as deserting. He had signed on on 22 August 1919

3 December 1919 Able Seaman John Pottinger logged as deserting. He had signed on on 28 August 1919

17 December 1919 berthed at Grangemouth from London

24 December 1919 Fireman Edwin G Whiting MMR 982092 logged as deserting. He had signed on on 12 April 1919

1 January 1920 docked at Avonmouth with a cargo of petrol for discharge. The first visit by the ship to this port

5 January 1920 sailed Avonmouth for Belfast

22 January 1920 arrived at Sheerness

12 February 1920 Mr Thomas Dobbie RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer. Previously served as Chief Engineer Officer of RFA LIMOL

DOBBIE THOMAS

Chief Engineer Officer Thomas Dobbie

16 February 1920 sailed Grangemouth for Sunderland in ballast

7 May 1920 berthed at the Albert Dock, Hull from Purfleet

7 June 1920 arrived at Grangemouth from Purfleet

8 June 1920 sailed Grangemouth for London

18 June 1920 berthed at the Albert Dock, Hull from Purfleet

19 June 1920 sailed from the Albert Dock, Hull in ballast for Purfleet

6 July 1920 berthed at Avonmouth to load bunkers

26 August 1920 sailed Grangemouth for Hull

29 August 1920 berthed at Albert Dock, Hull

30 August 1920 sailed Albert Dock, Hull for Purfleet

24 September 1920 arrived at Grangemouth from Thameshaven

16 December 1920 arrived at Grangemouth from London

5 January 1921 sailed Grangemouth for London in ballast

22 March 1921 sailed Grangemouth for London

28 March 1921 arrived at Grangemouth from London

18 April 1921 arrived at Grangemouth from London

16 May 1921 sailed Plymouth for Belfast

24 July 1921 Captain Robert T Gallon RFA appointed as Master

7 November 1921 berthed at Avonmouth to load cargo

2 December 1921 sailed Manchester for Avonmouth

4 December 1921 berthed at Avonmouth

23 January 1922 arrived at Salt End Jetty, Hull in ballast from Thames Haven

8 February 1922 Captain Charles N Noel RFA appointed as Master

14 February 1922 arrived at Granton from Rotterdam

28 February 1922 arrived at Plymouth from Falmouth

9 March 1922 arrived at Plymouth from Limerick

9 October 1922 Captain Wm Alfred Wooster RFA appointed as Master

William Alfred WOOSTER

Captain Wm Alfred Wooster RFA

3 November 1922 Captain Robert S Jarvis RFA appointed as Master

24 May 1923 berthed at Portsmouth Harbour

30 May 1923 sailed from Portsmouth Harbour returning later the same day

30 June 1923 Mr Edward B Morton RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

 

E_B_Morton

Chief Engineer Officer Edward B Morton RFA 

24 October 1923 sailed from Portsmouth Harbour to Stokes Bay returning to Portsmouth Harbour later in the day

25 October 1923 sailed from Portsmouth Harbour

28 December 1923 arrived at Salt End Jetty, Hull from Grangemouth in ballast. Sailing later the same day to Sunderland

11 March 1924 sailed Salt End Jetty, Hull to Grangemouth and then Aberdeen

14 March 1924 arrived at Aberdeen

12 April 1924 sailed Hull Roads in ballast

19 May 1924 arrived Hull Roads from Thames Haven

17 March 1925 berthed Portsmouth Harbour

27 April 1925 sailed from Portsmouth Harbour

14 October 1925 moored on No: 5 buoy, Portsmouth Harbour

4 November 1925 arrived Salt End Jetty, Hull from Fowey in ballast

1 December 1925 arrived at Grangemouth from Hull

13 December 1925 arrived at Grangemouth from Hull

15 December 1925 sailed Grangemouth for Hull

16 December 1925 arrived at Salt End Jetty, Hull from Grangemouth in ballast

18 December 1925 sailed Salt End Jetty, Hull for Sunderland with a cargo of motor spirit

21 December 1925 Mr Joseph S Harrison RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

10 January 1926 sailed Granton for Shell Haven in ballast

16 January 1926 arrived at Granton from Shell Haven

17 January 1926 sailed Granton

18 January 1926 berthed at Salt End Jetty, Hull

19 January 1926 sailed Salt End Jetty, Hull to Granton loaded with benzine arriving the next day

6 December 1926 Mr Charles J Falconer RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

24 June 1927 sailed Granton for Sheerness in ballast

20 August 1927 arrived at Plymouth from Manchester

21 August 1927 sailed Plymouth for Ellesmere Port

27 August 1927 Captain Reginald C E Neyroud RFA appointed as Master

13 November 1927 arrived and berthed at Saltend Jetty, Hull from Ipswich in ballast

30 April 1928 sailed from Devonport

19 June 1928 arrived at Devonport

30 July 1928 Mr John Atchison RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

9 August 1928 Captain Donald R McCutchan RFA appointed as Master

30 October 1928 arrived at Devonport

20 May 1929 Captain A D Davies RFA appointed as Master

16 December 1929 arrived at Grangemouth from the River Medway

28 December 1929 arrived at Plymouth and secured to No: 5 buoy

2 January 1930 arrived at Preston with a cargo of motor spirit

13 January 1930 arrived at Preston from Avonmouth with a cargo of motor spirit

10 February 1930 passed the Lloyds Signal station on the Lizard sailing east bound

26 February 1930 passed the Lloyds Signal station on the Lizard sailing east bound

5 March 1930 mentioned in Parliament as having 'emergency work' being undertaken on her which involved considerable overtime having to be paid

7 March 1930 passed the Lloyds Signal station on the Lizard sailing east bound

25 April 1930 arrived Avonmouth to discharge

1 May 1930 passed the Lloyds Signal Station on the Lizard sailing west bound

5 May 1930 passed the Lloyds Signal station on the Lizard sailing east bound

1 September 1930 Mr C F Smith RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

5 October 1930 Captain Harry W R Fowler RFA appointed as Master

 

Harry Fowler

Captain Harry W R Fowler RFA 

17 March 1931 Mr W Maybray RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

26 September 1931 sailed Falmouth

13 October 1931 sailed Avonmouth for Preston

19 December 1931 arrived at Avonmouth from Thameshaven

16 April 1932 Mr John R Flett RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

21 April 1932 Captain Donald R McCutchan RFA appointed as Master

Donald_R_McCutchan2

Captain Donald R McCutchan RFA

 30 May 1932 grounded on the Ironside Shoal in St Lawrence Seaway causing damage to her hull - reported in the Toronto Daily Star on 1 June 1932

2 June 1932 the Winnipeg Free Press reported ...

Winnipeg Free Press 2 6 32

7 July 1932 off Cape Megdelene Chief Engineer Officer John Robert Flett RFA discharged dead - from gas poisoning 

15 July 1932 Mr Frederick E Langer RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

CEO Frederick LANGER

Chief Engineer Officer Frederick E Langer RFA

1932 to 1936 chartered by Sun Oil Co., Philidelphia for trading on the Great Lakes and St Lawrence River and the Newfoundland coast in the Bay of Fundy area in the summer, being laid up at Halifax during the winter. She was escorted across the Atlantic by RFA ORANGELEAF (1) then RFA SERBOL who acted as W/T guard for her

5 April 1934 Captain George W Callaway RFA (Lieut-Commander RN (rtd)) appointed as Master

15 March 1935 Mr R Pittendrigh RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

1936 placed in reserve at Devonport as after carrying light oils, her tanks were in very poor condition. She subsequently had a  completely new tank section built into her at Grangemouth in 1938

11 November 1939 secured alongside HMS HOOD at Devonport to refuel her

1940 to 1943 sailed under a Yard Craft agreement at Devonport

15 March 1943 at Devonport alongside HMS NEWFOUNDLAND to refuel her - supplied 454 tons of FFO

4 April 1940 secured alongside HMS HOOD at Devonport to refuel her

18 April 1940 secured alongside HMS HOOD at Devonport to refuel her

19 April 1940 cast off from HMS HOOD

13 June 1943 slightly damaged during an air raid at Devonport

9 July 1943 at Devonport receiving FFO from HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH before the battleship entered dry dock

9 August 1943 collided with and damaged the cruiser HMS SHEFFIELD at Plymouth

11 October 1943 at Devonport alongside HMS SPARTAN refuelling her with FFO

February 1944 Captain Charles H Noel RFA appointed as Master and Mr A Sharp RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer 

Charles_Noel_3_-_1943

Captain Charles H Noel RFA

18 June 1944 and 19 June 1944 in Plymouth Sound moored alongside USS Arkansas to refuel her

10 January 1945 Captain John Mc Angus RFA appointed as Master

Capt John Mc Angus

Captain John Mc Angus RFA

14 May 1945 berthed at Portsmouth Harbour

24 October 1945 at Portsmouth Efficient Deck Hand Robert Leslie Russell discharged dead - self inflicted injury by shooting

28 January 1946 Mr J Cook RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

3 June 1947 sailed from Portsmouth Harbour

4 June 1947 berthed at Portsmouth Harbour

August 1947 taken out of service

23 September 1947 was handed over to the MoT for disposal

1947 sold to Hemsley Bell Ltd, Southampton (H.L.R. Bell, Manager) renamed Hemsley II

Hemsley II 2 1948

RFA Hickorol after sale and being renamed as Hemsley II

7 January 1948 sailed from Portsmouth Harbour

July 1948 was the first tanker to load from the large ex-Mulberry pontoon which was moored in Heysham Harbour and which was connected to the old Heysham Oil Jetty by two hinged arms carrying the pipelines. This provided another berth inside the harbour

18 July 1948 while leaving the Manchester Ship Canal at Eastham was in collision with the lock gates. She was only slightly damaged.

 Press report Hickorol

Press Report from the Western Daily Press of 19 July 1948

April 1950 sold to N T Papadatos, Piraeus and renamed GRAMMOS

14 April 1950 sailed Southampton for Bergen on her first voyage for her new owners

1956 sold to D'Alesio & Castaldi, Livorno and renamed ARDENZA

1967 sold to Ottavio Novella, Genoa and renamed PANNESI

Pannesi ex Hickorol

RFA Hickorol after sale and being renamed as Pannesi

1974 sold to Ciane-Arapo Cia. di Nav. e Bunkeraggi SpA (Ottavio Novella, Manager), Genoa. Name unchanged

July 1978 arrived Spezia for breaking up by DEcoMAR.

15 September 1978 breaking up began

 

 

 

No Image

Currently

Available

 

Previous name:                          Fleetwood,   Commissioner
Subsequent name: 

Official Number:                         207346                                                                         

Class:                                       Mooring / Salvage Vessel

Pennant No:                              X 19 / X 30

Laid down:                                1910
Builder:                                     Staten Island, Port Richmond
Launched:                                 April 1910
Into Service:                              1915
Out of service:                           1923
Fate:                                         Broken up

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: - 

 

1910 launched  by Staten Island, Port Richmond as Yard Nr  502 named FLEETWOOD for M.P. Smith & Sons Co, New York for service as a floating crane

April 1910 completed

1912 sold to Merritt & Chapman and renamed Commissioner

1915 purchased by the Admiralty for Boom Defence duties at Scapa Flow along with BULLFROG and FIDGET and renamed HOLDFAST

11 July 1916 Lieutenant Alexander C Inglis RNR appointed in command 

15 April 1918 Engineer Lieutenant Ernest Stainthorp RNR appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

1918 Boom Defence duties ended

March 1923 broken up by Carriden Ship Brk Co., Bo‘Ness

 

 

 

British_Holly

RFA Hollyleaf after her RFA service and as British Holly

 

Previous name:                         Oleaster
Subsequent name:                    British Holly

Official Number:                        140257

Class:                                         Emergency Wartime Construction LEAF Group Freighting Tanker

Pennant No:                               Y7.160

Laid down:
Builder:                                       William Hamilton & Co, Glen Yard
Launched:                                  23 December 1916

Into Service:                               March 1917

Out of service:                           1920
Fate:                                           Broken up

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:  During WW1, eighteen vessels of varying types were acquired second hand and converted or purchased and converted while on the stocks or in a few cases building as tankers. Some were converted after serving with the Dummy Battleship Squadron by the insertion of cylindrical tanks in their holds. All were originally intended to operate as RFA’s, however owing to reasons of international law and the operation of the US Neutrality Act, these oilers became Mercantile Fleet Auxiliaries, being renamed with the LEAF nomenclature and placed under civilian management, although operationally they remained under Admiralty control

 

1916 laid down as a dry cargo ship

23 December 1916 launched by Wm Hamilton & Co Ltd, Glen Yard, Port Glasgow as Yard Nr: 302 named RFA OLEASTER

March 1917 completed for the Shipping Controller and placed under management of Lane & MacAndrew Ltd, London as an oiler transport and renamed HOLLYLEAF

25 October 1917 at 31.29N 22.16W stopped and boarded by HMS MOTAGUA - allowed to proceed

 

HMS Motagua

HMS MOTAGUA

 

25 November 1917 escorted to Milo from Taranto by HMS RIBBLE

26 January 1918 sailed Milo escorted by HMS's COLNE and MARGUERITE

24 April 1918 Storekeeper John Savage discharged dead. He died in the International Hospital, Brindisi from a knife wound having been admitted the previous day.  He was originally buried in the Brindisi Communal Cemetery but he was moved by the CWGC to Bari War Cemetery, Italy in 1981

 

SAVAGE_J

 

Image courtesy of The War Graves Photographic Project

 

30 April 1918 attacked by a submarine in the Mediterranean - the torpedo missed

17 October 1918 off Permin and sighted by HMS TOPAZE

20 November 1918 at Ismid - HMS LIVERPOOL berthed alongside and was refuelled with 44 tons of FFO

HMS Liverpool

HMS LIVERPOOL

22 November 1918 at Ismid - HMS CANTERBURY berthed alongside and was refuelled with 69 tons FFO

HMS Canterbury

HMS CANTERBURY

8 December 1918 at Sevastopol - HMS CANTERBURY berthed alongside and was refuelled with 209 tons FFO

10 December 1918 at Hong Kong Cook You Ah discharged dead - drowned (These details were obtained from the 'Deaths at Sea register' but plainly there is an arror with ship being alongside a Royal Naval Cruiser two days previously at Sevastopol)

30 January 1919 passed Perim

26 August 1919 at the Seamans Rest, Port Said Chief Steward Frank Silk discharged dead - heart failure

8 September 1919 purchased by British Tanker Co, London name unchanged

14 November 1919 sailed Singapore

3 December 1919 arrived at Suez from Tarakan

17 January 1920 reported a floating mine at 3S 110E

11 March 1920 sailed Suez for Colombo

1 April 1920 arrived at Singapore from Suez and Colombo

8 April 1920 sailed Singapore for San Francisco

12 June 1920 sailed Colon for Malta

23 July 1920 arrived at New Orleans

24 July 1920 cleared New Orleans to Alexandria, Egypt

18 September 1920 sailed Abadan

1 October 1920 arrived at Suez when on passage from Abadan to Grangemouth

21 October 1920 sailed Grangemouth

26 November 1920 in refit at Palmers, Hebburn on Tyne and renamed British Holly by her owners

12 December 1920 sailed the River Tyne for Port Arthur, Texas via Thameshaven

16 February 1921 arrived at Gravesend from Port Arthur, Texas and berthed at the Port of London - with a sailor with a case of Syphilis - to the Seaman's Hospital at Greenwich

28 February 1921 berthed at Smiths Dock, River Tyne

14 May 1921 arrived at Port Said from Swansea when on passage to Abadan

7 August 1921 at Bombay 4th Engineer Officer Hubert Stringwell discharged dead - died in St. Georges Hospital, Bombay from pneumonia

 

H STRINGWELL

4th Engineer Officer Hubert Stringwell

 

28 December 1921 at 29.47N 48.47E Fireman Thomas Amor discharged dead - pneumonia

1 May 1922 arrived at Bombay after being involved in a collision - further details not known - source Page 6 of the Dundee Evening Telepgraph of 2 May 1922 and a Lloyd's telegram

17 July 1922 sailed Karachi

19 October 1922 at Bombay

20 December 1922 arrived at Abadan from Aden

18 March 1923 at Genoa, Italy

27 December 1923 sailed Madras for Abadan

9 March 1926 sailed Swansea for Avonmouth to discharge

11 March 1926 sailed Avonmouth

22 March 1926 berthed at Salt End Jetty, Hull

16 June 1926 sailed Abadan for Colombo

26 October 1926 Captain Sidney John Daniel appeared before Guildhall Justices Room, City of London charged with fraudulent conversion of £127 10sh and, as an alternative, embezzlement of the same sum from his employer - the British Tanker Co Ltd. while Master of the ss British Holly.  He pleaded Guilty. The full amount missing was £1,184. Sentenced to 3 months imprisonment

 S J Daniel

Captain Sidney J Daniel

York Post 20 Oct 1926 Press Cutting

9 September 1928 at the Government Hospital, Durban Ships Cook & Baker discharged dead - natural causes

30 December 1929 arrived at Hartlepool

22 January 1930 sailed from the River Tyne for Grangemouth

31 January 1930 passed the Lloyds Signal Station on the Lizard sailing west bound for Abardan

8 February 1930 passed Gibraltar sailing east bound

16 February 1930 arrived at Port Said

23 February 1930 passed Perim

3 March 1930 arrived at Abadan

6 March 1930 sailed Abadan for Madras and Calcutta

20 March 1930 sailed Madras for Calcutta

25 March 1930 sailed Calcutta for Abadan

9 April 1930 sailed Abadan for Karachi

14 April 1930 berthed at Karachi

7 May 1930 sailed Aden for Abadan

15 May 1930 arrived at Abadan

26 June 1930 arrived Suez from Abadan

21 January 1931 at Abadan Deck Casab Hoosein Nakwa discharged dead - chronic nephritis

31 January 1931 arrived at Abadan

11 August 1931 sailed Bombay for Abadan

28 October 1931 Purchased for £7,000 for demolition by  Torazo Haslimoto, Osaka

 

Hughli

 

Previous name:
Subsequent name:

Official Number:                       104821

Class:                                    Salvage Ship

Pennant No:                           W82

Laid down:
Builder:                                  Messrs Robert Duncan & Co, Port Glasgow
Launched:                              29 October 1894
Into Service:                           14 June 1917
Out of service:                        26 April 1919
Fate:                                      Sunk

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -  

 

Background Data:  Some official lists, marked as  “Lists of RFA’s” show vessels which spent some time as RFA’s during the First World War. These records are extremely sketchy and some of these vessels were “Yard Craft”, partially or wholly Dockyard manned, partly by RNR or Reserve Fleet personnel. Some of the Depot Ships staffed by skilled civilian Dockyard workers were for a time White Ensign. The Director of Stores was understood to be concerned with their manning and operationally they remained under Admiralty control

 

29 October 1894 launched by  Messrs Robert Duncan & Co, Port Glasgow as Yard Nr 268 named  HUGHLI for James Nourse & Co, London and Calcutta

7 December 1894 completed. Was built for towing Nourse Line sailing vessels on the River Hughli to and from Calcutta

9 May 1897 purchased by C.A. Hampton & E. Bromehead, London name unchanged

19 September 1898 attended the German steam ship Drachenfels which had lost its rudder on 13 September 1898 off Calcutta and took the Drachenfels in tow.

Drachenfels2 1900

German steam ship Drachenfels

Problems with the tow resulted in Court action in the Calcuta High Court on 25 January 1900 before Mr Justice Ali Ameer. 

1903 owners became James Nourse Ltd, London

1907 owner became Richard A. Grech, London name unchanged

1911 owner became Elizabeth C.V. Grech, St Leonard’s

22 February 1915 owner became Elizabeth C.V. Grech, St Leonard’s

7 November 1915 at Mudros Bay

16 December 1915 sailed Mudros Bay with two picket boats in tow and arrived at Kephalo

26 February 1916 at Alexandria hands from HMS HANNIBAL onboard working stores

1 March 1916 sailed Alexandria

12 August 1916 at Saltburn salvaged the tug Earl of Powis

18 August 1916 off Harwich lifted HM Submarines E4 and E41 both of which had collided while on the surface and sank on 15 August 1916. From this accident only 14 members of the crew of HM Submarine E41 survived

18 September 1916 Lieutenant Richard Going RNR appointed as Commanding Officer of HM Tug Hughli

15 November 1916 Lieutenant Going RNR injured while the ship was at Falmouth. Entered RN Hospital Haslar with fractured ribs. Lieutenant William D Brymer RNR took temporary command

20 November 1916 sailed Portsmouth to Dover towing the lighter 'Dromedary'

28 November 1916 Lieutenant Going RNR discharged from RN Hospital - remained sick for a further 3 weeks

21 April 1917 passed the Folkstone Gate with two barges in tow - reported by HMS LORD MINTO

24 April 1917 off Harwich together with the tug Vanquisher and joined on 29 April 1917 by RFA ANCHORITE salvaged HM Submarine C16 which had been rammed and sunk by HMS MELAMPUS when she was at periscope depth

HMS C16 IWM Q 022030

HM Submarine C16 (IWM Q022030)

12 June 1917 arrived at Chatham

14 June 1917 became RFA manned at Chatham - Lieutenant George J Wheeler RNR appointed as Commanding Officer and Engineer Lieutenant Richmond H Newsham RNR appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

28 September 1918 Engineer Lieutenant Richmond H Newsham RNR discharged dead having died from pneumonia. He died at the Royal Cornwall Hospital, Falmouth. He is buried in Hartlepool (Stranton) Cemetery and is remembered with pride on a Screen Wall.

GBGZ4688

 

26 April 1919 ship lost when she struck a mine off the Belgian Coast at Nieuport. Nineteen of the crew were lost and those whose bodies were recovered are buried in various military and civil cemetries in and around Dunkirk. Eight have no known grave but the sea and are variously remembered on the Chatham, Portsmouth and Plymouth Naval Memorials. See details in 'RFA Losses' section. Ten of the crew were rescued.

A_McQueen_Hughli2

A_McQueen_Hughli

‘ Paymaster Lieutenant Andrew McQueen, RFA Hughli is buried in Oostende New Communal Cemetery, Belgium’

29 April 1919 The New York Times, in a report in their edition stated that the Hughli was carrying explosives for use in clearing obstructions in the Ostend Channel.

20 October 1919 raised but was lost again

 

 

RFA Hungerford

 

Previous name:                        Lauterfels
Subsequent name: 

Official Number:                       136803                                                                         

Class:                                      Distilling Ship / Collier

Pennant No:                            Y4.24 / Y3.1687

Laid down:                             
Builder:                                   Weser Actien Gesellschaft 'Weser' Bremen
Launched:                               15 February 1913
Into Service:                            28 July 1915
Out of service:                         16 April 1918
Fate:                                      16 April 1918 torpedoed & sunk in the English Channel 

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -  

 

Background Data:  Some official lists, marked as  “Lists of RFA’s” show vessels which spent some time as RFA’s during the First World War. These records are extremely sketchy and some of these vessels were “Yard Craft”, partially or wholly Dockyard manned, partly by RNR or Reserve Fleet personnel. Some of the Depot Ships staffed by skilled civilian Dockyard workers were for a time White Ensign. The Director of Stores was understood to be concerned with their manning and operationally they remained under Admiralty control

 

15 February 1913 launched by Weser Actien Gesellschaft “Weser”, Bremen as Yard Nr: 192 named LAUTERFELS for Deutsche Dampschiffahrts-Gesellschaft Hansa, Bremen

27 March 1913 completed

5 November 1913 sailed Calcutta to New York

28 December 1913 sailed Boston to Calcutta

5 June 1914 arrived at Port Said from Hamburg while on passage to Karachi

August 1914 detained at Port Said by the British

22 January 1915 detention confirmed by the Prize Court at Alexandria  - allocated to the Admiralty. Renamed RFA Hungerford under management of Grahams & Co, London. 

28 July 1915 became an RFA distilling ship name unchanged. Management by Grahams & Co ceased

3 August 1915 Lieutenant Robert A Seabrook RNR appointed in command and Engineer Arthur John Trew RNR appointed as Chief Engineer Officer. Both officers had been in post prior to this date but were granted temporary commissions in the Royal Naval Reserve on the ship becoming an RFA

 

 

Capt Robert A Seabrook

 

Lieutenant Robert A Seabrook RNR

 

1 January 1916 pink list location shows her to be a Distilling Ship under the orders of the Vice Admiral, Eastern Mediterrean

 

22 February 1916 distilling Ship service ended

 

6 April 1916 Temporary Assistant Paymaster John Richard Ormerod RNR discharged dead. He is buried in Suez War Memorial Cemetery, Egypt (Grave Ref. C. 20) and had been appointed to the ship on 26 August 1915

 

Ormerod_J_R

Displayed with thanks to British War Graves

 

22 June 1917 became a collier Y3.1687 name unchanged

16 December 1917 attacked with 2 torpedoes from a submarine in the Mediterranean but the torpedoes missed their target

1918 management transferred to George Heyn & Sons Ltd, Belfast name unchanged

16 April 1918 torpedoed by German submarine UC75 (Oberleutnant zur See Walter Schmitz) in the English Channel 9 miles SSE from the Owers Light Vessel while on passage in ballast from Le Havre to New York via St Helen’s Roads and sunk.

RFA Hungerford sinking map

Greaser Percy Brown MMR, Fireman and Trimmer James Thomas Clark MMR, 2nd Officer John McClure Dale RFA, Fireman Hitchins MMR, Greaser Thomas Jenkins MMR, Leading Seaman Joseph Martin RNR, 3rd Engineer Officer Donald McVictor McFarlane MMR and Junior 2nd Engineer Officer Alfred James Rice RFA all were drowned. 2nd Officer Dale is buried in Haslar Naval Cemetery, Gosport, Leading Seaman Martin RNR is remembered with pride on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial. The others have no known grave but the sea and are remembered with pride on the Tower Hill Memorial

 

Dale

2nd Officer John Dale's grave in Haslar Royal Naval Cemetery incorrectly showing he was 3rd Officer

 

John_Dale

2nd Officer John Dale is also remembered with pride on the 1914 - 1918

memorial in Cairncastle Presbyterian Church, Northern Ireland

 

31 May 1918 the German submarine UC75 was sunk by being rammed by HMS Fairy at 53 57N 00 009E

 

 

 

 

For details of this RFA please go and see RFA Manica 

Additional information

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.