Welcome to Historical RFA
by William Lionel Wyllie
The RFA operated three PET class tankers. They each entered service in 1918 as Water or Sprit carriers and served in the fleet until after WW2
“See How They Run”
Fun onboard with the Rodents
Imagine the Naval Health Officer of the Port of Portsmouth, complete with cocked hat, frock coat, gold braid, epaulettes, and all the other trimmings, walking, with that splendid dignity which pertains to Naval Health Officers, down the Dockyard one fine morning with his sword in one hand and a rat-trap in the other!
On 11 January 1952 RFA War Hindoo was along side in Singapore Naval Base with HMS Comus berthed outboard of her. The Royal Naval ships crew had to cross the deck of the RFA to gain access to their ship. On one particular evening some of the RN crew were coming back to their ship (no doubt after a few wets) and were not particularly quiet while crossing over the deck of the War Hindoo.
In 1949 RFA Wave Governor, while on passage in the Timor Sea, was passing to the south-eastward of Cartier Islet when they discovered a previously unreported bank and thus signalled its location to the Royal Australian Navy.
The Bulawayo Cup was originally one of a series of trophies presented to HMS Bulawayo by the citizens of Zimbabwe’s (then known as Rhodesia) second city, when the captured German tanker “Nordmark” was commissioned into the Royal Navy and eventually re-named HMS Bulawayo.
On 2 February 1998 the Helicopter Training and Primary Casualty Receiving ship RFA Argus raced to the rescue of the Spanish ship “Delfin Del Mediterraneo” which had sunk in a storm, 248 miles south west of Cape St. Vincent at 34° 34'N – 13° 04'W. The ship launched her helicopters and despite waves of up to 40 feet, managed to rescue twelve Spanish sailors from the ship. Two other crew members were lost.