No Image

Currently

Available

 

Official No:                           121359

Builder:                         Philip & Son Ltd., Dartmouth

Launched:

Class:                           Medway Ferry   

Pennant No:                         

Into Service:                  20 April 1921

Out of service:                22 September 1927

Fate:                             22 September 1927 Registry Closed

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:  A member of the Fleet Steamer Service - a passenger ferry operating in the Chatham/Medway area

Career Data:

1912 completed by Philip & Son Ltd., Dartmouth and registered at Londonderry as The Aberfoyle. Had a BoT certificate for 407 passengers (in smooth water conditions)

1 November 1912 joint owners recorded as John McFarland of Londonderry, a contractor and Basil Alexander Talbot McFarland of Londonderrya student

30 September 1920 bill of sale records show the ship was purchased by HM Government and it would appear that 'The' was dropped from her name

22 February 1921 underwent an inclinling (stability) experiment in No: 2 basin, HM Dockyard, Chatham. however, it appears that the constructor was instructed to cancel the exercise.

20 April 1921 registered owner His Majesty represented by the Commissioners for executing the Office of Lord High Admiral of the United Kingdom with the Secretary of the Admiralty, Whitehall, SW1 designated as Managing Owner

8 March 1927 in Haslar Creek, Gosport

23 March 1927 alongside in No: 2 Basin, Portsmouth Dockyard

19 May 1927 in Haslar Creek, Gosport

17 August 1927 in Reserve with submarines of the Fifth Submarine Flotilla in Haslar Creek

22 September 1927 registry closed

1 January 1929 in Reserve with HMS/m L6, L11, L12 & L14 (all part of the Fifth Submarine Flotilla) in Haslar Creek

18 February 1929 in Reserve with HMS/m L6 & L12 (both part of the Fifth Submarine Flotilla) in Haslar Creek

29 April, 1929 in Reserve with HMS/m L4, L5, L6, L11 & L12 (all part of the Fifth Submarine Flotilla) in Haslar Creek

18 June 1929 in Dry Dock No: 1 in Portsmouth Dockyard

20 August 1929 in reserve with HMS/m L11 (part of the Fifth Submarine Flotilla) in Haslar Creek

September 1939 to December 1945 described as a 'Special Service Vessel' and as a tender to HMS DOLPHIN

 

Subcategories

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.