Quickstep

donated with thanks by Paul Crinson

 

Official Number:                     125464

Laid down:

Builder:                                 J. Crown & Sons Ltd, Monkwearmouth, Sunderland

Launched:                             17 June 1909

Into Service:                           8 November 1914

Out of service:                        23 April 1918

Fate:                                     23 October 1941 mined and sunk

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

 

Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

Career Data:

 

17 June 1909 launched by J. Crown & Sons Ltd, Monk Wear Mouth, Sunderland as Yard Nr: 125 named QUICKSTEP for Witherington & Everrett, Newcastle.

July 1909 completed

28 January 1910 passed the Lloyds Signal Station on Flamborough Head sailing north

11 August 1910 arrived at the River Tyne from Antwerp

2 September 1910 arrived on the River Tyne from St. Malo

15 January 1911 at Antwerp Fireman Levi Owen discharged dead - drowned

8 November 1912 at Derwenthaqugh Able Seaman Charles Adolf Boyesson discharged dead - drowned

29 March 1913 sailed Sunderland for Calais

10 May 1914 arrived River Wear from Honfleur

12 May 1914 berthed in South Dock, Sunderland

25 July 1914 sailed the River Tyne for Rouen

20 October 1914 at Berehaven berthed alongside HMS VENUS to supply bunker coal to the warship

8 November 1914 requisitioned by the Admiralty for service as an Ammunition Carrier, name unchanged  

1915 the ship's Master was Captain L R Hanson. The 1st Engineer was William Tindale

15 May 1915 the Falkirk Herald reported -

Press report 15 5 1915 Falkirk Herald                                    

23 April 1918 returned to her owners

16 May 1919 passed the Lloyds Signal Station on Flamborough Head sailing north

3 June 1919 passed the Lloyds Signal Station on Flamborough Head sailing south

21 August 1919 arrived at Rouen

1927 purchased by Messageries Maritimes Belges S.A, Antwerp and renamed MOST

1930 owners became Armement Alexander S.A, Antwerp name unchanged

1932 purchased by Ernesto Lavarello, Genoa and renamed ALBORAN

1935  purchased by Giuseppe Palomba, Torre del Greco and renamed MARIA POMPEI

23 October 1941 was mined and sank 2 miles off Punta Platamoni, Kotor

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.