Waterwhich_2

RFA Waterwitch

Photo by Stuart Cameron and information from http://www.clydesite.co.uk

watch

RFA Waterwich at Salonika in 1916

 

Previous name:                       RESIT PASA (No.73)
Subsequent name:                   HALAS (No.71),  BOSPHORUS No.71, HALAS (No.71), HALAS

Official Number:                               139060


Class:                                    Tender / Despatch Vessel

Pennant No:                            P91 / X27 / X78

Laid down:                              6 May 1914
Builder:                                   Fairfield, Govan
Launched:                               17 October 1914
Into Service:                            7 June 1915

Out of service:                         1923
Fate:                                      Sold commercially

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:  Some official lists, marked as  “Lists of RFA’s” show vessels which spent some time as RFA’s during the First World War. These records are extremely sketchy and some of these vessels were “Yard Craft”, partially or wholly Dockyard manned, partly by RNR or Reserve Fleet personnel. Some of the Depot Ships staffed by skilled civilian Dockyard workers were for a time White Ensign. The Director of Stores was understood to be concerned with their manning and operationally they remained under Admiralty control

The image above was taken in 2008 and shows that an RFA from World War 1 is still in use 100 years later albeit in the commercial world

17 October 1914 launched by Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Govan as Yard Nr 502 named RECHID PASHA for Sirketi Hayriye, Istanbul (Bosphorous Steam Navigation Co) Was seized on the slip

7 June 1915 completed as WATERWICH

22 June 1915 Lieutenant Edward J Simmons RNR appointed in command

4 August 1915 Lieutenant John Henderson RNR appointed in command and Engineer Lieutenant Thomas F Lloyd RNR appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

19 October 1915 Quartermaster Hartley Brown discharged dead having died from dysentry. He is buried in East Mudros Military Cemetery in grave III. B. 62

 

Brown 1

Courtesy and © of The War Graves Photographic Project 

 

29 October 1915 Engineer Lieutenant Thomas Frederick Lloyd RNR discharged dead having died of typhoid fever. He is buried in East Mudros Military Cemetery in grave III. C. 74

 

LLOYD_TF

 Courtesy and © of The War Graves Photographic Project

 

Waterwitch_1916

 

6 July 1916 at Saloniika a Carpenters working party from HMS St GEORGE working onboard

11 July 1916 at Saloniika a Carpenters working party from HMS St GEORGE continued work onboard

21 August 1916 at Salonika berthed alongside HMS EXMOUTH. A working party from HMS St GEORGE of 2 plumbers, 2 balcksmiths and 1 carpenter came onboard

HMS Exmouth 1906

HMS EXMOUTH

21 September 1916 at Salonika cast off from HMS St GEORGE

26 September 1916 at Salonika two carpenters from HMS St GEORGE working onboard

29 September 1916 at Salonika two carpenters and one plumber from HMS St GEORGE working onboard

28 October 1916 at Salonika one joiner and three caulkers from HMS St GEORGE working onboard

11 November 1917 Engineer Lieutenant William E Smart RNR appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

2 January 1918 pink list location shows her to be a Fleet Messenger in the Salonika Area

20 January 1918 Lieutenant Philip Bisson RNR discharged dead having been killing in action. He is remembered with pride on the Plymouth Naval Memorial and on the war memorial at St Brelade, Jersey

Lieutenant Philip Bisson

Lieutenant Philip Bisson RNR

War Mem St Brelade JerseyP Bisson

 

28 January 1918 Lieutenant John E Loveluck RNR appointed in command

Lt John Edward Loveluck RNR

Lieutenant John E Loveluck RNR

Courtesy his grandson John Dixon and © of the Glasgow
Evening News which is acknowledged

30 June 1918 pink list location shows her to be a Fleet Messenger in the Agean Squadron

11 November 1918 pink list location shows her to be a Fleet Messenger in the Mudros Area, Mediterranean

18 December 1918 Engineer Lieutenant Harry S Shannon RNR appointed as Chief Engineer Officer. Had previously served on RFA WAVE

November 1919 pink list location shows her to be a Fleet Messenger in the Agean under the PNTO, Eastern Mediterranean

1923 was returned to Turkish owners Sirketi Hayriye - Bosphorus Steam Navigation Co, Istanbul and renamed HALAS NO 71

1944 renamed by the Bosphorus SN Co as BOSPHORUS No.71

1952 renamed HALAS NO 71 by her owners

1954 owners now Turkiye Denizcilik Isletmeleri A.S, Istanbul name unchanged

1974 to 1976 refitted for use on tourist cruises

1983 was laid up

1984 reported sold for demolition

1985 purchased privately and re-engined with twin Caterpillar 512 hp diesel engines which gave a cruising speed of 12 knots and a top speed of 15 knots and was extensively restored. Owners now Turkiye Turizm ve Yat Isletmeleri A.S, Istanbul

1986 sold to Ileri Turizm ve Yat and renamed HALAS

2008 now operated by Blue Cruise Yacht Charters

24 October 2010 at Istanbul

start new

 

Notes:

In 1913 the Turkish owners placed orders for three ferries with British yards but the outbreak of WW1 the following year resulted in only one of them being built. She was taken over by the Navy during construction and was used as a Despatch Vessel. She was released to Turkey in 1923 and renamed as above

 

Ships of the same name

Waterwitch. A brig-sloop of 319 bm, 90.5 x 29.5 feet armed with 8 x 18 pdr carronade and 2 x 6 pdr.   An ex yacht, purchased on the 15 November 1834.  Sold out of service on the 22 November 1861.

Waterwitch. Iron hydraulic gun boat of 1,205 tons, 162 x 32 feet, by Thames Ironworks, Blackwall and launched on the 28 June 1866.  Sold to Castle, Charlton 26 April 1890. 

Waterwitch. (ex steam yacht Lancashire Witch) An iron screw survey vessel of 620 tons, 150 x 26 feet, purchased on the 17 March 1893.  The ship was rammed and sunk by the Government yacht “Seamew” on the 1 September 1912, whilst at anchor in Singapore Roads.

Waterwitch. “Algerine” class minesweeper, launched by Lobnitz on the 22 April 1943.  Sold to G. Deckers on the 9 October 1970.

Battle Honours for this Vessel: ANZIO 1944.

 

Additional information

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.