Alfred_Lamey-02

 

RFA Sparkler after her sale in 1957 and being renamed Alfred Lamey

 

Previous name:                     
Subsequent name:                 Alfred Lamey, Marie Lamey    

Official Number:                     167522                                               

Class:                                    Miscellaneous Harbour Tug

Pennant No:                          A504

Laid down:
Builder:                                 Yarwood, Northwich
Launched:                             19 February 1940
Into Service:                          25 May 1940
Out of service:                       11 June 1957 sold commercially

Fate:                                     Broken up     

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:  There were a number of vessels which fell into the category of Miscellaneous Harbour Tugs which all belonged to different Classes and which were based at various Naval Bases for general duties

 

19 February 1940 Launched by W. J. Yarwood & Sons (1938) Ltd, Northwich as Yard Nr 625 and named SPARKLER

25 May 1940 completed

1941 based at Loch Alsh

10 September 1941 deployed to tow HMS Bardale after the later had been refloated to Fladda Chauin with the Dutch tug Hector - source Admiralty War Diary

2 July 1955 was replaced at Londonderry at the shore base HMS Ferret by RFA Empire Fred

11 June 1957 sold to J H Larney, Liverpool and renamed ALFRED LAMEY

1966 renamed MARIE LAMEY by her owners

1967 purchased by Northern Slipway Co Ltd, Dublin then resold

17 August 1967 arrived Troon for breaking up by West of Scotland Shipbreaking Co Ltd. 

Additional information

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.