RFA Spabrook

 RFA Sparbrook 

 

Previous name:

Subsequent name:  

Official Number:                    180026                                                        

Class:                                   SPA CLASS Water Carrier

Pennant No:                         X127 / A224

Laid down:                           16 September 1943
Builder:                                 Phillip, Dartmouth
Launched:                            24 August 1944
Into Service:                         12 December 1944
Out of service:                      1977
Fate:                                   13 September 1977 - arrived at Briton Ferry for breaking up

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:  There were 6 ships in this Class, all coal-fired and all built to an Admiralty design. Originally intended for service with the RFA, several of them were transferred to Dockyard Service later in their careers and came under what was then the Port Authority service which in turn became the Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service. Some of them were also employed by the Army at times, in bases where fresh water supplies were difficult to obtain. RFA SPABECKwas for some years employed as a carrier of hydrogen peroxide fuel for experimental submarine engines, being specially converted for this task by Vickers Ltd and was based at Barrow, manned by RFA crews when not laid up between experiments.

 

24 August 1944 launched by Philip & Son Ltd, Dartmouth as Yard Nr 1073 named SPABROOK

 27 November 1944 Captain Arthur E Craze RFA appointed as Master

 

A_E_Craze

Captain Arthur E Craze RFA

courtesy of Graham Henshaw

 

28 November 1944 Mr Henry J Sheepwash RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

12 December 1944 delivered at a cost of £78,712. Spent most of her career based on Malta

19 July 1945 docked at Rosyth prior to proceeding abroad

8 August 1946 arrived at Malta with water from Augusta, Sicily to discharge. Sailed the same day back to Augusta

21 August 1946 arrived at Malta with water from Augusta, Sicily to discharge

26 June 1947 Captain Charles N Rennels RFA  appointed as Master

3 July 1947 Mr George H Came RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

17 May 1948 used to supply fresh water supplies to Malta from Augusta, Sicily and Tripoli - arrangements discussed in Malta Legislative Assembly, Valetta, Malta on this day

9 July 1949 Mr Lawrence H Earley RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

19 December 1952 arrived at Malta from Port Said

July 1977 sold to T.W. Ward Ltd for scrap

13 September 1977 arrived Briton Ferry for demolition

Additional information

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.