RFA Salvalour

 

 

 

Previous name:
Subsequent name:   

Official Number:                       180379                                                                        

Class:                                      KING SALVOR Class Ocean Salvage Ship

Pennant No:                           A494

Laid down:                             7 January 1944
Builder:                                  Goole Shipbuilding & Repair Company
Launched:                              2 November 1944
Into Service:                           4 September 1945
Out of service:                        October 1955
Fate:                                      Broken up

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data: There were originally 13 ships in this Admiralty-designed Class, 12 of which saw service as RFA’s. The final unit in the Class was completed as a Submarine Rescue Vessel under the White Ensign. All were basically similar and were used as Ocean Salvage Ships. They had a complement of 72 and during wartime were armed with 4 x 20 mm AA guns

 

2 November 1944 launched by Goole Shipbuilding & Repair Co Ltd, Goole as Yard Nr: 408 name SALVALOUR

4 September 1945 completed

25 October 1950 at Chittagong Harbour Greaser To On discharged dead from natural causes

14 February 1951 anchored in the Outer Roads of Singapore

30 March 1951 at Hong Kong Captain Charles Clifford Reeder RFA discharged dead - natural causes

 Charles Reeder

Captain Charles C Reeder when an Apprentice

April 1951 on charter to Mollers Towges Ltd, name unchanged

24 April 1951 arrived at Singapore towing from Hong Kong a seized tanker Yung Hao (intended to become RFA SURF PILOTunder the escort of HMS CHARITY having RASed with RFA BROWN RANGER on three occasions during the passage

August 1952 took under tow to Hong Kong for docking the steam ship Plymouth Star which had grounded at Wenchow arriving 30 August 1952

October 1955 charter expired laid up in reserve at Singapore

25 November 1971 purchased by Robin Shipyard (Pte) Ltd, Singapore name unchanged

9 December 1971 handed over to her new owners

1974 purchased by Cia de Transportes Edna SA, Panama  name unchanged

February 1978 reported lying at Gadani Beach for demolition by Pakistani breakers

 

Additional information

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.