L3027

 

 

Previous name:                                       L 3027

Subsequent name:                                  HMS LOFOTEN

Official Number:                                                                                                             

Class:                                                      LST (3) / Accommodation Ship / Helicopter Support Ship /Accommodation Ship

Pennant No:                                             L 3027 / K 07

Laid down:                                               30 May 1944
Builder:                                                     Blyth Drydock & Shipbuilding Co., Cowpen Quay, Blyth        
Launched:                                                26 January 1945   
Into Service:                                             24 October 1945      
Out of service:                                         1991                     
Fate:                                                          Broken up October 1993 

                 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:

 

Was originally launched as one of a large number of LST (3) built during WW2 but saw little service before being laid up. Her full military load consisted of 168 troops, 7 x LCM's 18 x 40t tanks & 27 trucks. After a period of lay-up and  acting as an Accommodation Ship she was converted into a Helicopter Support Ship which was initially planned to be operated by the RFA but which, for an unknown reason, did not occur and she remained an RN ship throughout her career. Thus she never sailed as an RFA

22 December 1943 ordered

30 May 1944 laid down

26 January 1945 launched by Blyth Drydock & Shipbuilding Co., Cowpen Quay, Blyth as Yard Nr: 308 named LST 3027 for the Admiralty

24 October 1945 completed. Saw little action before being laid up

1947 renamed HMS LOFOTEN after one of the Norwegian Islands which had seen action in WW2 during Operation Claymore which saw massive destruction of German installations during a Commando landing

2 November 1948 at Malta Stokers Albert Corver and James Donaldson while attempting to return to the ship in a boat were rescued from drowning by local residents and the Maltese Police who applied artificial respiration

12 November 1949 Commander Colin H Corbet-Singleton DSC*** MID Royal Navy discharged dead. He is buried in Kalkara Royal Naval Cemetery, Malta

2 December 1949 Captain G C Blundell Royal Navy appointed in Command and as Senior Officer Reserve Fleet, Malta

27 September 1950 Captain R P S Grant Royal Navy appointed in Command and as Senior Officer Reserve Fleet, Malta

30 August 1951 Stoker Mechanic Thomas R Neal discharged dead

1956 reactivated for the Suez Crisis and loaded 45 Commando stores and transport at Malta before sailing on Operation Musketeer

 

L3027 in 1956

HMS LOFOTEN in 1956

L3027 in 1956 No 2

 

1 September 1956 at Malta RFA EDDYCLIFF alongside refuelling her

31 October 1956 discharged her cargo, which included her beaching in the Suez Canal, this proved to be the first ever operational helicopter assault. Her cargo load consisted of vehicles, ammunition, 2 x side pontoons and 14 LCT's. She departed the Canal area immediately after landing her cargo

13 June 1957 in the London Gazette of this day Lieutenant Harry Parker Royal Navy awarded a Mention in Dispatches

1958 was designated as a Harbour Accommodation Ship

1963 taken out of reserve at Portsmouth and had her Upper Deck refitted for trial landings of Wessex helicopters which proved very successful and she was taken in hand by Devonport Dockyard for conversion into a Helicopter Support Ship to be manned by the RFA. Initial estimates were for the conversion to be completed by April 1964 but this slipped until early June 1964

June 1964 Lieutenant Commander P J Morton Royal Navy appointed in command

23 June 1964 eventually re-commissioned at Devonport on completion of her conversion with Pennant No: K 07 and Flight Deck Letters LT. Normally she could carry 4 x Wessex helicopters although there was room for 6. Two x 10,000 gallon aviation fuel tanks were fitted at the forward end of her former Tank Deck and hinged guard rails, to form safety nets when lowered, were fitted along her Upper Deck. A system of light controls were also fitted to guide trainee helicopter pilots to land on her deck.

 

LOFOTEN as K07

AS A HELICOPTER SUPPORT SHIP

No armament was carried and it was planned that she would be in service, mainly based at Portland Harbour, for approximately 2½ years by which time it was hoped that a purpose built ship would be in service, which was ordered on 18 August 1964 and which entered service - RFA manned - on 15 December 1967

1965 a planned visit to Cork, Eire (12 to 17 October) was cancelled when it emerged that the IRA Army Council had surveyed the area for possible sites to fire on her and had actually authorised this action

1966 during a Merchant Seaman's strike deployed to carry emergency stores to Kirkwall, Orkney Islands

Lofoton unloading at Kirkwall Pier during seamans strike in 1966

HMS Lofoten unloading at Kirkwall Pier

1969 transfered to Rosyth Dockyard as an Accommodation Ship

1991 placed on the Disposal List

1993 sold to Belgian ship breakers

26 October 1993 sailed Rosyth in tow of the tug  Towing Chieftain

29 October 1993 arrived at Bruges for demolition by Jacques Bakker & Zn

 

 

 

 

 

 

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.