Previous name:
Subsequent name:                  Lady Saniya
Official Number:                     180988                               

Class:                                    KIN CLASS Coastal Salvage Vessel

Pennant No:                           A281

Laid down:                             20 April 1944
Builder:                                 A Hall, Aberdeen
Launched:                              17 January 1945
Into Service:                           1950

Out of service:                        1960

Fate:                                      1 April 1992 Sold Commercially

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:  Originally a class of eleven ships was planned but two were cancelled and of the remaining nine, seven saw brief service as RFA’s. They were re-rated as Mooring, Salvage and Boom Vessels in 1971. All were equipped with lifting horns and heavy rollers forward which enabled them to lift 200 tons dead-weight over the bows. In wartime they were armed with 2 x 20 mm AA guns and had a complement of 34

 

17 January 1945 launched by Alexander Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen as Yard Nr 701 named  HMS KINBRACE. Named after a small community in Strath Beg in east Sutherland in Scotland

30 April 1945 completed

January 1946 based at Immingham on east coast clearance work including the American Liberty ship Horace Binney which had been mined on 8 May 1945 thirty six miles from Flushing and beached off Deal where it broke in two.

July 1946 based at Harwich

6 May 1947 at Dover engaged in the salvage of HMS CODRINGTON which had been bombed and sunk in the Harbour on 27 July 1940

HMS Codrington

HMS CODRINGTON

6 May 1948 Mr J Marshall appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

December 1948 at Sheerness flying the RFA Blue Ensign

31 January 1949 at Dover Magistrates' Court Steward Alexander F Carver pleaded Guilty to stealing a radio ashore

Dover Kinbrace press cutting 31 Jan 1949

Press cutting from the Dover Express Newspaper of 4 February 1949

11 February 1949 sailed Dover for Sheerness

7 March 1949 Captain Roy Souter appointed as Master

June 1949 at Hull with RFA KINLOSS was involved in the salvage of ss Brabo also with LC10 and LC11

December 1949 at Chatham

June 1950 arrived at Dover

14 July 1950 raised the first portion of RFA WAR SEPOY,which had been sunk as a blockship during WW2 and was now lying badly corroded in 2 parts,during clearance operations on the Western Entrance to Dover Harbour

17 August 1950 another section of RFA WAR SEPOY was raised at Dover

29 March 1951 sailed from Dover for Sheerness for engine repairs and a refit

11 May 1951 Mr H C Shepherd (Lieutenant (E) RN (ret)) appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

6 July 1951 sailed from Chatham Dockyard

10 Juy 1951 arrived at Dover

17 August 1951 raised a further section of RFA War Sepoy

November 1951 / April 1952 raised the aft section HMS FOYLEBANK (a naval flak ship) which had been bombed and sunk by German aircraft on 4 July 1940 in Portland Harbour from a depth of 90 feet.The fore part had already been raised in 1949

FoyleBank Anti AirCraft ship

HMS FOYLEBANK

May 1952 returned to Dover

1 June 1952 Captain W H Harrison appointed as Master

17 June 1952 along with her sister RFA UPLIFTER and another tug, succeeded in refloating the British steamer BARON DOUGLAS which had been beached by tugs near Hastings after she had been hit in thick fog by the Yugoslav vessel KORENICA ten miles east of the Royal Sovereign Light Vessel. Her Master and Crew received £2,500 salvage money

February 1953 until October 1953 at Dover

10 April 1953 Captain H J Perrett RD (Commander RNR (Ret)) appointed Master

April 1954 while engaged on the removal of a block ship at Dover Harbour was placed on standby to assist in the recovery of a Sea Hawk jet fighter which had crashed in the sea off Mablethorpe at the mouth of the River Humber

9 March 1955 at Eastern Dock, Dover involved in damage involving the port lifting horn to greenheart fender which the Harbour Master sought replacement for at a cost of £152. There was no damage to the ship

17 June 1955 involved with RFA SWIN in the raising of HMS/m SIDON at Portland Harbour when twelve members of the crew and a Naval Doctor from HMS MAIDSTONE were killed.

24 June 1955 submarine was raised and beached near Chesil Beach Causeway for the bodies to be removed

5 July 1955 entered Portland Harbour

1 September 1955 refloated the Panamanian-registered CAPTAIN LUKIS which was lying beached in Sandwich Bay and it was then lightened by RFA ROBERT MIDDELTON

September 1955 until February 1956 at Dover

February 1956 in refit by Badgers, London

13 April 1956 Mr A Butler appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

June 1956 at Dover

27 August 1956 sailed after a boiler clean for Malta stopping at Plymouth and Gibraltar to refuel. The C in C Nore was reminded by the Admiralty that the Officers and crew would need to sign Foreigh Going Articles

27 October 1956 deployed after Operation Musketeer- the Suez Crisis - along with 34 other RFA‘s

2 November 1956 Captain H M Campbell appointed as Master

5 December 1956 involved with other ships in opening up obstructions in the Suez Canal under the directions of the United Nations

31 January 1957 arrived Malta along with her sister KINGARTH after Suez Operation

15 February 1957 returned U.K. from Suez

7 December 1957 Captain D M Gentle appointed as Master

February 1958 to December 1958 at Dover

12 February 1959 Captain John W Boyes appointed as Master

22 February 1959 Mr A E Daw appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

9 July 1959 was at Chatham for a boiler clean and steam generator repairs and the fitting of a new crankshaft

November 1959 at Dover with a boiler clean

January 1960 returned to working on the removal of RFA WAR SEPOY at Dover

March 1960 deployed to Devonport for a research project followed by a boiler repairs at Chatham

May 1960 in refit at Portsmouth followed by reserve at Chatham

6 May 1963 Admiralty Board approval was given to convert her and her sisters KINGARTH and  UPLIFTER into Mooring, Salvage and Boom Vessels

22 May 1967 arrived Greenock for conversion to diesel propulsion by James Lamont & Co Ltd.

29 May 1967 conversion began. She was re-engined with 1 x British Polar Atlas diesel engine. 630  bhp. 9 knots. Single screw

14 September 1967 British registry closed

12 May 1968 conversion completed  at a cost of £184,000 and she was transferred to PAS at  Portland where she replaced the BDV BARNDALE

May 1973 assisted in the salvage of the midget submarine XE 8 that had been sunk under tow off Portland in 1945. The submarine was then put on display at the Imperial War Museum at Duxford

17 July 1974 off Chesil Beach, Portland raised Westland Wessex HAS3 (XP138) from NAS737 which had crashed in the sea on approach to the Naval Air Station at Portland

21 May 1987 was transferred to the Reserve Ships Unit at Portsmouth

9 December 1988 towed by NIMBLE to Rosyth to replace KINLOSS to serve with the Naval Construction Research Establishment as the ARE Trials Vessel

15 December 1989 - laid up at Rosyth

1990 on the Disposal List Rosyth

May 1991 replaced by CAMERON

1 April 1992 sold to SC Chambers, Liverpool

11 May 1992 sailed Rosyth in tow and was laid up at Port Penrhyn in North Wales

1994 purchased by the Australian firm Morris Catering who had a contract to supply services to 32,000 UN troops in Somalia

October 1994 at Malta to Somalia, UN support

1998 was seen laid up at Ajman Creek near Dubai

2001 purchased by unknown Middle Eastern buyers

20 September 2004 now renamed LADY SANIYA arrived Alang, India to be broken up

 

Notes:

 

Was managed by Risdon Beazeley Ltd, Southampton during WW2

Additional information

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.