SS Pass of Brander 1

RFA Isla - after RFA service - renamed Pass of Brander

 

Previous name:                         Thistle
Subsequent names:                  Pass of Brander,  Nordsee, Ludwig Friederich

Official Number:                         113134                                               

Class:                                        Spirit Carrier

Pennant No:                               P93, X29, X33

Laid down:                            

Builder:                                      Garston Graving Dock, Garston
Launched:                                  14 February 1903
Into Service:                               6 March 1907
Out of service:                            9 September 1921 sold to commercial interests and renamed
Fate:                                          14 May 1959 broken up at Bremerhaven

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

 

Background Data:  Soon after the turn of the 20th Century, the Admiralty acquired a number of small tankers and store ships and from the experiments conducted with these tankers was obtained the experience which resulted in the building of a large number of tankers of various sizes which were especially designed for their task of refuelling warships. None of these early ships were sister ships, and they became the first Admiralty vessels to fall into the new RFA category on its inception in 1905

 

14 February 1903 launched by Garston Graving Dock & Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Garston named Thistle as Yard Nr: 23 for John Brewster & Son Ltd.,Whitehaven

March 1903 completed

6 March 1907 purchased by the Admiralty for £8,925 through C.W. Kellock & Co, London (the Admiralty Shipping Agent) and named ISLA. Over the next 3 years £16,277 was to be spent on her converting her into a petrol carrier 

July 1907 proceeded to Sheerness for conversion

9 April 1908 approval was given for her temporary use as a collier

22 September 1910 arrived at Portsmouth Harbour

13 October 1910 after sailing from Portsmouth lost her propeller. The Portsmouth Evening News reported the story ...

Isla lost prop 14 10 10 Press report

31 October 1910 conducted inclination tests at Sheerness

31 March 1911 anchored at Stokes Bay

8 April 1911 while in the company of HMS's JUPITER, ALBERMARLE, PETREL and BAT passed the Needles

3 January 1912 berthed on South Railway Jetty, Portsmouth Harbour

27 January 1912 berthed at Haslar Creek

11 March 1912 arrived at Portsmouth

7 May 1912 sailed Portsmouth Dockyard

12 May 1912 registered under the Merchant Shipping Act

20 June 1912 sailed Portsmouth Dockyard to Spithead

21 June 1912 sailed Portsmouth Dockyard

18 July 1912 arrived at Kirwall with fuel for submarines

23 August 1912 arrived at Portsmouth Dockyard

20 September 1912 arrived at Portsmouth Dockyard and moored in Haslar Creek

18 October 1912 arrived at Portsmouth Harbour and moored in Haslar Creek

18 November 1912 sailed Portsmouth Harbour

2 December 1912 moored in Haslar Creek

30 December 1912 sailed Portsmouth Harbour to Spithead

17 January 1913 arrived at Portsmouth Harbour

29 March 1913 at Portsmouth Harbour and moved berths to Pitch House Jetty

31 March 1913 at Portsmouth Harbour and moved berths to No: 1 Basin

April 1913 Captain Richard N Smardon RFA was Master

15 May 1913 sailed Portsmouth Harbour

17 May 1913 arrived at Portsmouth Harbour

19 May 1913 sailed Portsmouth Harbour

6 August 1913 arrived at Portsmouth Harbour and moored in Haslar Creek

6 September 1913 arrived at Portsmouth Harbour and moored in Haslar Creek

15 October 1913 arrived at Portsmouth Harbour

1914 re-rated as an oiler

10 January 1914 Mr Ernest K Horsley RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

CEO Ernest K Horsley

Chief Engineer Officer Ernest K Horsley RFA

9 April 1914 moored in Haslar Creek, Portsmouth Harbour

25 May 1914 moored in Haslar Creek, Portsmouth Harbour

18 June 1914 sailed Portmouth Harbour for Spithead

22 June 1914 arrived at Portsmouth Harbour

3 May 1915 Lieutenant Ernest G Enright RNR appointed in command

 

Ernest_G_Enright

Lieutenant Ernest G Enright RNR

 

8 July 1915 at Portsmouth

4 August 1915 Lieutenant Arthur D Davies RNR appointed in command and Engineer Lieutenant Ernest K Horsley RNR appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

6 October 1915 at Immingham

15 October 1915 at Immingham

19 November 1915 at Chatham Hospital Able Seaman John McKean discharged dead - cancer. Admitted to hospital 14 November 1915. Buried in Gillingham (Woodlands) Cemetery, Kent in the Royal Naval Section. 

 

McKean_J

Courtesy and © of The War Graves Photographic Project

 

29 November 1915 at Portsmouth

1 January 1916 Engineer Lieutenant Lewis T Stribling RNR appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

5 April 1917 Second Officer John A Wells RFA appeared before a court martial charge with (a) being found drunk on board and (b) improperly leaving his ship. First charge was adjudged not to be proved. The second charge was adjudged to be proved and he was sentenced to be severely reprimanded and to be dismissed his ship

7 April 1916 at Immingham

15 September 1917 being escorted by HMS LORD MINTO off Folkstone. Escort changed to HMS HERO off Dungeness

9 October 1917 Lieutenant Frederick William Baron RNR appointed in command.  He remained in command until 20 January 1919

1 November 1918 sailed Long Hope, Scapa Flow for Buckie escorted by HMS TENBY CASTLE

2 November 1918 hove to off Buckie because of adverse weather

8 February 1919 Mess Boy Harry L Bartlett was logged as deserting the ship. He had signed on the ship on the 6 February 1919

Harry Bartlett 

Mess Boy Harry L Bartlett

7 March 1919 Lieutenant James P Downie RNR appointed in command

20 March 1919 in collision with the British steamer ss LINHOPE

18 April 1919 Captain Grahame G A Deuchar DSC RNR appointed as Master

Captain Graham Deuchar DSC

Captain Grahame G A Deuchar DSC RFA

14 August 1919 Engineer Lieutenant David E Morgan RNR appointed as Chief Engineer Officer. He signed off the ship on the 8 October 1919 when he was appointed to RFA Slavol

CEO David E Morgan

Engineer Lieutenant David E Morgan RNR

9 October 1919 Mr C W Gilbert RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

13 February 1920 berthed at Portsmouth

19 June 1920 berthed at Portsmouth

3 July 1920 berthed at Portsmouth

9 September 1921 sold to Bulk Oil SS Co Ltd (Sea Navigation Co Ltd, Managers) as their first tanker and was renamed PASS OF BRANDER

21 September 1922 grounded and damaged at Selby which necessitated dry docking at Hull

 Press cutting isla

Press report from the Yorkshire Post & Leeds Intelligencer of 22 September 1922

15 October 1922 off Rosherville in collision with steamer Hematite which was anchored. The Pass of Brander was extensively damaged on the port side above the water line. The Hematite's port hawsepipe was broken and slight damage was done to the starboard side

Hematite-01

ss Hematite

18 January 1923 the Hull Daily Mail reported ...

Hull Daily Mail Press Report 18 1 23

19 April 1923 arrived at Hull from Zwyndrecht in ballast

25 March 1924 sailed Town Docks, Hull for Hamburg

18 April 1924 sailed Town Docks, Hull for London in ballast

22 October 1924 at Hull Magistrates' Court the ship's Master - John Irvine - was fined £25 for overloading 

18 February 1925 berthed at the Town Docks, Hull having arrived from London sailing the same day for London

9 June 1925 sailed Hull for Rotterdam

7 February 1926 berthed at the Town Docks, Hull having arrived from London sailing the same day for Zwyndrecht

12 July 1927 ran aground in the vicinity of Cross Sand Lightship in the North Sea. The tug Yare, built in 1883, in attempting to render assistance struck a submerged object, believed to be a wreck, and sank.  The ship was eventually refloated with the assistance of a steam drifter Torbay II, a steam tug George Jewson and some lifeboats.

3 December 1927 the salavage of the PASS OF BRANDER after she ran aground was the subject of litigation in the Admiralty Division of the High Court this day before Mt Justice Hill and Elder Brethren of Trinity House. The Court awarded the George Jewson £500, the Torbay II £500 and the Lifeboat crews £150

1928 managers now J.W. Cook & Co Ltd

30 November 1931 sailed Dundee for Zwyndrecht

26 February 1932 berthed at Dundee to load

1934 purchased by John T. Essberger GmbH, Hamburg and renamed NORDSEE and registered at Hamburg

1939 sold to Reederei Eugen Friederich of Bremen, renamed LUDWIG  FRIEDERICH and was increased in size from 518 to 654 tons

ex ISLA improved pix copy

After RFA service as LUDWIG FRIEDERICH

14 May 1959 broken up at Bremerhaven by Eisen u.Metall KG Lehr & Co

Additional information

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.