RFA Freshwell

 

 

Class:                                    FRESH CLASS Water Carrier

Pennant No:                           X121

Laid down:                             18 March 1943

Builder:                                  Lytham Shipbuilding, Lytham
Launched:                              2 July 1943

Into Service:                           30 October 1943
Out of service:                        29 January 1968
Fate:                                     Sold and broken up

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

Background Data:  There were 14 vessels in this Class, designed by H.M. Dockyard, Devonport to the order of the RFA. The design was based on that of the earlier BLOSSOM and FOUNTAIN CLASSES but with an additional salvage and fire-fighting capability. They were originally operated by the Director of Victualling and were maintained at RN bases in the U.K. and Mediterranean where they were employed principally in replenishing warships’ freshwater supplies and also, from time to time, in fire fighting and salvage work. A total of 236 tons of fresh water could be carried in 6 tanks. Most of them saw only limited service under the RFA ensign, manned by RFA crews working under Board of Trade (Home Trade) Agreements, before being transferred to the control of the Captains of the Dockyards on Yard Craft Agreements. In 1959 they were brought under the authority of the newly-formed Port Auxiliary Service which in turn became the Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service. Originally all coal-fired, 4 of the Class were converted to oil-burning in 1961

 

 

2 July 1943 launched by Lytham Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, Lytham as Yard Nr: 873 named FRESHWELL for the Admiralty (Director of Stores)

23 October 1943 Captain P Guy MBE RFA appointed as Master

30 October 1943 completed and was taken over by the RFA

1944 - 1945 based at Scapa Flow

16 February 1944 Mr W Thomas RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

12 May 1944 Captain David Cook RFA appointed as Master

17 April 1945 while coming alongside RFA MIXOL, which was berthed on Lyness Jetty, her starboard anchor holded the Mixol's port quarter, sheering rivets, bending frame and deck stringers

23 July 1945 arrived at Grangemouth

27 July 1945 sailed Grangemouth

27 August 1945 sailed Grangemouth

1945 - 1946 based at Rosyth

1 February 1946 ceased to be classed as an RFA and was taken over by the Director of Victualling

1946 based at Gosport

2 July 1947 passed the Lloyds Signal Station on the Lizard sailing west

1953 - 1967 based at Portland. Alternated with RMAS FRESHTARN from Portsmouth. Replaced the earlier water boats EMPIRE BARNABY and EMPIRE FULHAMand was in turn replaced by RMAS WATERSIDE and RMAS WATERMAN

14 December 1964 was alleged to have caused damage to ss CONDOVISITY at Portsmouth

November 1967 on the Disposal List at Pembroke Dock

25 November 1967 offered for sale in the Times of this day 'As lying' at Pembroke Dock by the Ministry of Transport

29 January 1968 sold and broken up at Passage West - Haubowline Industries

 

 

Additional information

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.