RFA Freshford

 

 

Previous name:
Subsequent name:

Official Number:                  169906

Class:                                 FRESH CLASS Water Carrier

Pennant No:                       X63

Laid down:                         November 1943

Builder:                              Lytham Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, Lytham
Launched:                          23 March 1944
Into Service:                      18 July 1944
Out of service:                   16 August 1967 
Fate:                                 Broken Up

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:  There were fourteen vessels in this Class, designed by H.M. Dockyard, Devonport to the order of the RFA. The design was based on that of the earlier BLOSSOM and FOUNTAIN CLASSES but with an additional salvage and fire-fighting capability. They were originally operated by the Director of Victualling and were maintained at RN bases in the U.K. and Mediterranean where they were employed principally in replenishing warships’ freshwater supplies and also, from time to time, in fire fighting and salvage work. A total of 236 tons of fresh water could be carried in six tanks. Most of them saw only limited service under the RFA ensign, manned by RFA crews working under Board of Trade (Home Trade) Agreements, before being transferred to the control of the Captains of the Dockyards on Yard Craft Agreements. In 1959 they were brought under the authority of the newly-formed Port Auxiliary Service which in turn became the Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service. Originally all coal-fired, four of the Class were converted to oil-burning in 1961

 

23 March 1944 launched by Lytham Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, Lytham as Yard Nr 875 named  FRESHFORD for the Admiralty (Director of Stores)

18 July 1944 completed and was taken over by the RFA

15 September 1944 at Scapa Flow alongside HMS INDEFACTIGABLE supplying her with fresh water

1945 to 1946 based at Scapa Flow

17 January 1946 ceased to be classed as an RFA and was taken over by the Director of Fuelling

1946 to 1967 based at Portsmouth

13 December 1960 at Portsmouth Harbour alongside HMS KEPPEL supplying water

May 1967 on the Disposal List at Portsmouth

14 June 1967 offered for sale 'as lying' at H. M. Dockyard, Portsmouth of this day

16 August 1967 sold and broken up at Antwerp (Jos de Smedt)

 

Additional information

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.