RFA Freshet

 

 


Subsequent name:

Official Number:                     168228

Class:                                      FRESH CLASS Water Carrier

Pennant No:                            X102

Laid down:                              26 March 1940

Builder:                                   Lytham Shipbuilding, Lytham
Launched:                               6 July 1940

Into Service:                           10 December 1940
Out of service:                         9 November 1945
Fate:                                        Sold out of service

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:   There were fourteen vessels in this Class, designed by H.M. Dockyard, Devonport to the order of the RFA. The design was based on that of the earlier BLOSSOM and FOUNTAIN CLASSES but with an additional salvage and fire-fighting capability. They were originally operated by the Director of Victualling and were maintained at RN bases in the U.K. and Mediterranean where they were employed principally in replenishing warships’ freshwater supplies and also, from time to time, in fire fighting and salvage work. A total of 236 tons of fresh water could be carried in six tanks. Most of them saw only limited service under the RFA ensign, manned by RFA crews working under Board of Trade (Home Trade) Agreements, before being transferred to the control of the Captains of the Dockyards on Yard Craft Agreements. In 1959 they were brought under the authority of the newly-formed Port Auxiliary Service which in turn became the Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service. Originally all coal-fired, four of the Class were converted to oil-burning in 1961

 

6 July 1940 Launched by Lytham Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, Lytham as Yard Nr 863 named  FRESHET for the Admiralty (Director of Stores)

10 December 1940 completed at a cost of £24,162 and was taken over by the RFA

17 December 1940 sailed Fleetwood for Greenock

1941 to 1942 based at Londonderry

5 October 1941 Captain David Cook RFA appointed as Master

19 November 1941 Mr H Newton appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

28 December 1942 sailed Loch Ewe in Convoy UR 4 in tow of HM tug FRISKY

2 January 1942 arrived at Reykjavik in convoy UR4

23 April 1942 at Hvalfjordur, Iceland made fast alongside USS Melville supplying her with fresh water

1943 to 1944 based Iceland

7 July 1943 Mr J Bethune appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

25 October 1943 Captain H T Sawyer appointed as Master

14 January 1944 Mr T H Brewster appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

1945 to 1946 based at Plymouth

9 November 1945 ceased to be classed as an RFA and was taken over by the Director of Fuelling

1946 based at Portsmouth where she replaced the earlier water boats EMPIRE BILLOW  and PELTER

1961 converted to oil fuel burning

4 January 1963 offered for sale 'as lying' in HM Dockyard, Portsmouth in The Times of this day

1971 on the Disposal List. Fate unknown but reported sunk as a target

 

Additional information

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.