RFA Freshburn

Previous name:
Subsequent name:

Official Number:                       169811

Class:                                      FRESH CLASS Water Carrier

Pennant No:                             X60

Laid down:                               7 July 1943

Builder:                                    Lytham Shipbuilding, Lytham

Launched:                                29 October 1943
Into Service:                             1 April 1944

Out of service:                          5 November 1945 Ceased to be classed as an RFA
Fate:                                         Broken up

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:  There were fourteen vessels in this Class, designed by H.M. Dockyard, Devonport to the order of the RFA. The design was based on that of the earlier BLOSSOM and FOUNTAIN CLASSES but with an additional salvage and fire-fighting capability. They were originally operated by the Director of Victualling and were maintained at RN bases in the U.K. and Mediterranean where they were employed principally in replenishing warships’ freshwater supplies and also, from time to time, in fire fighting and salvage work. A total of two thundred and thirty six tons of fresh water could be carried in six tanks. Most of them saw only limited service under the RFA ensign, manned by RFA crews working under Board of Trade (Home Trade) Agreements, before being transferred to the control of the Captains of the Dockyards on Yard Craft Agreements. In 1959 they were brought under the authority of the newly-formed Port Auxiliary Service which in turn became the Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service. Originally all coal-fired, four of the Class were converted to oil-burning in 1961

 

29 October 1943 launched by Lytham Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, Lytham as Yard Nr: 874 named  FRESHBURN for the Admiralty (Director of Stores)

February 1944 Captain T E Roberts appointed as Master

23 February 1944 Mr J Greenfield appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

1 April 1944 completed and taken over by the RFA

31 July 1944 at Jenny Cliff Bay, Plymouth alongside USS Bannock (ATF41) and supplied 2,688 gallons of fresh water to her

USS Bannock AFT41

USS Bannock (ATF41)

4 September 1944 at Plymouth alongside HMS BELLONA supplying her with fresh water

Bellona

HMS BELLONA

5 September 1944 at Plymouth alongside HMS BELLONA supplying her with fresh water

7 September 1944 at Plymouth alongside HMS BELLONA supplying her with fresh water

12 September 1944 at Plymouth alongside HMS BELLONA supplying her with fresh water

17 September 1944 at Plymouth alongside HMS BELLONA supplying her with fresh water

5 November 1945 ceased to be classed as an RFA and was taken over by the Director of Victualling

1945 to 1974 based at Devonport

1 January 1947 Captain Frederick George Andrews, the ship's Master awarded the British Empire Medal in the New Years Honours List of this day

15 January 1970 at Plymouth Sound alongside RFA REGENT supplying 195 tons of water

16 January 1970 at Plymouth Sound alongside RFA REGENT supplying 210 tons of water 

1974 to 1979 based at Chatham

March 1982 on the Disposal List at Chatham; sold to Davies & Newman Ltd, London 

11 April 1982 left Chatham having been sold to Dutch breakers Rijsdijk-boss at Hendrik-ido-Ambacht for £6,125 and was subsequently broken up in Holland

 

Additional information

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.