Eddyfirth 1977 

Reproduced with permission of the MOD 

RFA Eddyfirth

 

Official Number:                       186012

Class:                                     EDDY CLASS Fleet Attendant Oiler

Pennant No:                            A261

Laid down:                              25 April 1952
Builder:                                   Lobintz & Co, Renfrew

Launched:                               10 September 1953
Into Service:                            25 April 1954
Out of service:                          Laid up 1 April 1981
Fate:                                       Broken up

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:  This Class were a part of the RFA’s first post-WW2 construction programme and the ships were Admiralty-designed to act as Fleet Attendant Oilers. Even as they were being built for world-wide service however, their designed functions had become obsolete due to the rapid and wide scale practice of refuelling at sea. This resulted in RFA EDDYCOVE, ordered on 23 January 1951 and RFA EDDYMULL, ordered on 27 March 1951 being cancelled in 1952 and the remaining eight ships in the Class refocused on harbour and coastal service within a short time. With the exception of RFA EDDYFIRTH, the remainder of the Class had very short service lives with the RFA.

 

24 October 1953 Mr D F Gorrie RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

January 1954 Captain Phadraig Colfer RFA appointed as Master

10 February 1954 ran builders’ trials

25 April 1954 completed. Spent a large part of her career based at Malta, largely with the Motor Minesweeping Flotillas. In her latter years, as the sole survivor of the Class, she was employed in carrying avcat and lubricating oils around the U.K. coast.

1 June 1954 Captain A H Mackenzie RFA appointed as Master

23 June 1954 Mr C A Herbert RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

14 September 1955 Captain Allistoun M Macquire-Samson RFA appointed as Master

13 December 1955 Mr A C Hawk RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

14 March 1956 Captain Alf Waters RFA appointed as Master

27 November 1956 Mr P Campbell RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

8 December 1957 Mr F Barclay RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

4 June 1958 Mr C W H Neil RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

12 June 1958 Captain Stephen J Pethurst RFA appointed as Master

Captain Stephen J Pethurst

Captain Stephen J Pethurst RFA
(image taken in 1920)

14 July 1960 Captain George  Baker RFA appointed as Master

12 December 1960 moved from Portsmouth Dockyard to Gosport oil fuel jetty by RFA CAPABLE

16 December 1960 Mr Ciriaco G McFadzean RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

13 March 1961 Captain T H Macrow RFA appointed as Master

20 May 1961 at Portsmouth

19 July 1961 at Immingham

4 December 1961 Mr B C Jeremiah RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

20 June 1962 at Haslar Naval Hospital Chief Steward Henry Jenkins Powell discharged dead - natural causes

6 July 1962 Captain H E Michael RFA appointed as Master

6 August 1962 berthed at Gibraltar while on passage to Malta from the UK.

7 August 1962 at Gibraltar three crew members appeared before the Magistrates' Court charged with causing wilful damage to an Admiralty Launch to the value of £7/10/3d. Three men were seen in the launch crossing the Harbour from the Fleet Landing Catamaran at Coaling Island. The launch was chased by a Police Patrol launch during which Seaman Derek M Southwell apparently thew himself into the Harbour. He was rescued by the Police Officers and the Admiralty launch was eventually stopped with Seaman Roger Sherrott onboard. The third man was not in the launch but a man was found later near HMS Rooke soaking wet. The Court found Southwell and Sherrott Guilty of the charge. The third man was found not guilty and discharged. The two convicted Seaman were fined £5 each and were ordered to pay the cost of the damage between them

7 January 1963 Mr E T Rees RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

20 August 1963 Mr J M Lumsden RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

15 September 1963 Captain O J Coulthard RFA appointed as Master

23 March 1964 Captain Donald G M Averill RFA appointed as Master

 Cap Don Averill

Captain Donald G M Averill RFA

6 July 1964 Mr W P Garrick RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

20 August 1965 Captain David P Kindersley RFA appointed as Master

25 September 1965 Mr J W Ritchie RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

1966 Redesignated as a Harbour Tanker

4 March 1966 the body of a male person was discovered in a ships locker on board this day - reported in The Times of the 5 March 1966

25 August 1966 Captain A Hewitt RFA appointed as Master

10 October 1966 Mr C E Prentis RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

26 August 1967 Captain John C Moffat RFA appointed as Master

7 September 1967 Mr J W Ritchie RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

7 December 1967 Captain B A Seymour RFA appointed as Master

9 July 1969 at Plymouth

8 September 1969 berthed on Gosport Oil Fuel Jetty

6 July 1970 at Rosyth

12 September 1970 at Fawley

2 October 1970 Mr Ronal C Putt MID RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

3 October 1970 sailed Gosport Oil Fuel Jetty to Fawley ( 3 trips)

8 October 1970 sailed Fawley to Gibraltar arriving 13 October 1970

16 October 1970 sailed Gibraltar to Devonport arriving 22 October 1970

12 February 1971 at Portsmouth berthed alongside RFA WAVE CHIEF on the Gosport Oil Fuel Jetty

13 February 1971 sailed from alongside RFA WAVE CHIEF on the Gosport Oil Fuel Jetty

26 Jun 1971 at Portsmouth

7 September 1971 at Portsmouth

29 October 1974 sailed Malta for Augusta

15 December 1975 Captain Shane Redmond RFA appointed as Master

 

Captain_Shane_Redmond_OBE_crop

Captain Shane Redmond RFA

 

25 March 1977 at Portsmouth

11 July 1977 at Portsmouth

December 1977 Captain John Roddis RFA in command

12 December 1977 at Roseneth on the Clyde

2 January 1978 at Portsmouth

15 October 1979 Captain Anthony Pitt RFA appointed in command

 

A_Pitt

Captain A F Pitt RFA

16 October 1980 Captain Anthony Pitt RFA appointed in command

1 April 1981 destored and was laid up at Devonport

5 October 1981 placed on the Disposal List ‘as lies Devonport‘

1981 sold to Spence & Young for £50,000 for demolition

January 1982 resold to Spanish breakers

28 March 1982 arrived Seville, Spain for breaking up by Desguaces del Guadalquivir

Additional information

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.