RFA Eddybay


Subsequent name:

Official Number:                    184616 

Class:                                   EDDY CLASS Fleet Attendant Oiler

Pennant No:                          A107

Laid down:                            23 March 1951

Builder:                                  Caledon Ship Building, Dundee 
Launched:                             29 November 1951
Into Service:                          25 April 1952
Out of service:                       5 November 1962
Fate:                                      Broken up

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:  This Class were a part of the RFA’s first post-WW2 construction programme and the ships were Admiralty-designed to act as Fleet Attendant Oilers. Even as they were being built for world-wide service however, their designed functions had become obsolete due to the rapid and wide scale practice of refuelling at sea. This resulted in RFA EDDYCOVE, ordered on 23 January 1951 and RFA EDDYMULL, ordered on 27 March 1951 being cancelled in 1952 and the remaining 8 ships in the Class refocused on harbour and coastal service within a short time. With the exception of RFA EDDYFIRTH, the remainder of the Class had very short service lives with the RFA.

 

 

1 October 1951 Mr David L S Hood DSC RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

11 January 1952 berthed at Caledon West Jetty, Dundee

19 January 1952 Captain R R McKenzie RFA appointed as Master

April 1952 ran trials

25 April 1952 completed and sailed Dundee for Rosyth

1 May 1952 at Chatham alongside HMS CAMPANIA refuelling her - 736 tons of FFO supplied

HMS Campania

HMS CAMPANIA

15 May 1952 Mr Harry G May RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

27 December 1952 Mr Robert A Higgie RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

CEO Robert A Higgie

Chief Engineer Officer Robert A Higgie RFA

March 1953 was time-chartered to Shell in UK waters

10 May 1953 in refit at Victoria Dock, Port of London

15 June 1953 took part in the Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Fleet Review at Spithead along with 6 other RFA’s

19 June 1953 Captain Albert V Barton RFA appointed as Master

24 June 1954 Mr George Bray RFA appointed as Temporary Chief Engineer Officer

CEO George Bray in 1918

Temporary Chief Engineer Officer George Bray RFA (image taken in 1918)

10 November 1954 Mr F Barclay RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

31 August 1955 Captain John Toms RFA appointed as Master

13 June 1956 Mr A E McCann RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

21 November 1956 Able Seaman Frederick Redhead discharged dead.  He is buried in Kalkara Royal Naval Cemetery, Malta

 

Redhead_F

Image courtesy of British War Graves

 

9 December 1956 entered Plymouth Sound from sea

29 January 1957 Mr F Campbell RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

3 January 1958 Captain T H Macrow RFA appointed as Master

8 July 1958 ran aground at Rhu Narrows on the Clyde (Gareloch) but was soon refloated

16 September 1961 arrived Gibraltar to act as a petrol hulk for the RAF whilst their fuelling installation was being overhauled and she was kept topped up by Shell coastal tankers from Casablanca

1 May 1962 Captain Emil E Sigwart RFA (Temporary Lieutenant Commander RNR) appointed as Master

Captain E Sigwart

Captain Emil E Sigwart RFA

9 November 1962 laid up at Gibraltar

21 and 28 May 1963 offered for sale 'as lying' at HM Dockyard, Gibraltar in the Times on these dates

26 August 1963 sailed Gibraltar in tow of the tug RIFLEMAN

10 September 1963 arrived Portsmouth for demolition by H.G. Pounds Ltd

6 January 1964 the ships bell offered for Sale for £10.00 in the Times of Malta

27 August 1964 after resale to Belgian breakers, sailed Portsmouth in tow

29 August 1964 arrived at Antwerp to be broken up by Scrappingco SA, Willebroek.

Additional information

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.