Confident-03

 

Previous name:               

Subsequent name:                                                                         

Class:                                        CONFIANCE CLASS Tug                      

Pennant No:                               A 290    

Laid down:                            
Builder:                                      A & J Inglis Ltd, Pointhouse, Glasgow
Launched:                                  17 January 1956         
Into Service:                               6 September 1956
Out of service:                  
Fate:                                         18 August 1984 sold for scrap

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:

 

There were originally 2 ships in this Class but a further 3, formerly rated as Dock Yard Tugs, were officially added to the Class in 1971 as part of the RMAS Ocean Towing Force. Fitted with 2.50m dia Kanewa controllable pitch propellers. All were fitted for fire fighting and salvage work and also had a towing winch. They were used for both harbour and ocean towing duties but were not popular at sea due to their extreme liveliness in rough weather. Bollard pull was 24.6 tons. Their normal complement was 29 with a further 13 members of a salvage party. Four of the Class saw service as RFA’s. The full Class was as follows:

 

Pennant Nr                       Name                      Launched                  Completed                     Fate
A 90                                    ACCORD                 17/09/57                      09/58                    Disposed of 1988
A 89                                    ADVICE                    16/10/58                      10/59                    RFA Service
A 88                                    AGILE                       02/07/58                      07/59                    RFA Service
A 289                                 CONFIANCE            15/11/55                      03/56                    RFA Service
A 290                                 CONFIDENT             17/01/56                     09/56                    RFA Service

 

17 January 1956 launched by A & J Inglis Ltd, Pointhouse, Glasgow as Yard Nr: 1530 P named  CONFIDENT

6 September 1956 completed and accepted into service

1956 to 1957 based at Devonport

18 February 1957 at Devonport alongside HMS PUNCHER

July 1957 arrived Gibraltar to be based there

21 August 1957 sailed to the Liberian tanker World Splendour and attempted to tow her to port but the ship (which was on fire) exploded and sank 35 miles east of Gibraltar - rescued two officers and seven of the crew who had remained on board to fight the fire and landed them at Gibraltar - the remainder of the crew had been saved earlier

6 June 1959 at Gibraltar assisted in berthing HMS CENTAUR

9 November 1973 at Gibraltar moved RFA Cherryleaf (3) from 22 berth to 48 berth. Sailed Gibraltar to one mile off Poitnt Almina, Ceuta to provide salvage to ss Rusharn which had broken down. Towed to Gibraltar Dockyard and moored at 47 berth

12 November 1973 moved RFA Cherryleaf (3) from 48 berth

13 November 1973 assisted to berth RFA Dewdale (2) from Gibraltar Bay to 48 berth

9 May 1974 returned to Portsmouth

18 August 1984 sold for scrap to Romamet Ltd at Rochester

21 August 1984 sailed Portsmouth under tow of tug Deidre to the ship breakers

 

Confident_alongside_breakers

Confident alongside at the ship breakers

 

Additional information

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.