RFA C85
 
RFA C85
 
C85
 
RFA C85 after being sold out of Service, renamed Conformity and converted into a tanker
 

 

Previous name:
Subsequent name:                     Conformity

Official Number:                      168043

Class:                                       Cargo Lighter

Pennant No:                             A124

Laid down:
Builder:                                    W. J. Yarwood & Sons (1938) Ltd., Northwich 
Launched:                                1940
Into Service:
Out of service:                         1956
Fate:                                         Broken up

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:  The Naval Stores harbour craft were usually allocated a number bearing the prefix C. This descended from the days when the Coaling Officer operated the fuelling craft. Many of these craft were operated by the Naval Stores Department under the Director of Stores (Navy). C numbers were allocated to vessels such as dumb barges, coal lighters, dumb coal lighters, self-propelled diesel lighters, self-propelled stores lighters, launches and tugs and a number were registered as RFA‘s and many wore the ‘green stripe’ that indicated the Naval Stores Department

 

12 July 1940 launched by  W. J. Yarwood & Sons (1938) Ltd, Northwich as Yard Nr: 648 named C 85 for the Naval Stores Department

22 November 1940 Captain Arthur J D Gosney RFA appointed as Master

26 November 1940 completed

3 December 1940 Mr George H Came RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

16 March 1942 Captain E O Morris RFA appointed Master

13 October 1945 Mr Cecil J Heard RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

3 May 1946 Captain John Maclean RFA appointed as Master

12 January 1947 sailed Montrose to Rosyth in ballast

15 July 1948 Mr E C B Barron RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

17 October 1948 Chief Engineer Cecil J Heard RFA discharged dead

23 December 1948 at Sittingbourne Magistrates' Court William Smith (16) who had stowed away on the ship when it was bound for Sheerness. When the ship was 30 miles out he was discovered and set to work as a cabin boy. The ship's Master offered to find a permanent place for Smith as part of the ships crew. He case was dismissed by the Court under The First Offenders Act. Smith signed on as a Cabin Boy on 24 December 1948

8 February 1949 sailed the Tyne for Chatham

28 February 1949 Captain R H Fox RFA appointed as Master

27 November 1949 arrived at Blyth from Chatham

30 November 1949 sailed from Blyth to Queenborough

1956 offered for sale at Sheerness

May 1956 Sold out of service to F J Everard & Sons Ltd., The Wharf, Greenhithe, Kent

5 July 1956 notice of change of name given in The Times of this day to 'Conformity'

February 1959 converted to oil fuel burning

1959 rebuilt as a tanker, name unchanged. 484grt  227 nrt 600 dwt. Dimensions now 171’06” x 28’03” x 10’05¼”

7 February 1964 at Greenhithe, Kent Able Seaman James Gummer discharged dead - drowned

24 October 1970 passed Doordrecht en route to Hendrik Ido Ambacht for demolition by Arie Rijsdijk,  Boss en Zonen

Additional information

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.