Comity-01

Comity-02

RFA C648 after sale out of service as mv Comity

 


Subsequent name:                    Comity,   Constellation,  Careyna

Official Number:                         182906

Class:                                         Oil Lighter

Pennant No:

Laid down:
Builder:                                      Jas Pollock, Sons & Co Ltd, Faversham
Launched:                                  1946
Into Service:                               May 1949
Out of service:                            August 1958
Fate:

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:

 

Naval Stores harbour craft were usually allocated a number bearing the prefix C. This descended from the days when the Coaling Officer operated the fuelling craft and many of these craft were operated by the Naval Stores Department under the Director of Stores (Navy) C numbers were allocated to craft such as dumb barges, coal lighters, dumb coal lighters, self-propelled diesel lighters, self-propelled stores lighters, launches and tugs of which a number were registered as RFA’s and wore the ‘green stripe’ that indicated the Naval Stores Department

 

 

1946  launched by  Jas Pollock, Sons & Co Ltd, Faversham as Yard Nr 1848 named C 648 for the Naval Stores Department

May 1949 completed

15 June 1953 C648 ran aground at Robin Hood Bay, Whitby, Yorkshire while carrying a cargo of lubricating oil from Sheerness to Rosyth. She was towed off and into Whitby Harbour for inspection

August 1958 purchased by F.T. Everard & Sons Ltd, Greenhithe and renamed COMITY

1960 re-engined with 1 x 4 cyl 240 x 345mm diesel engine by Newbury Diesel Co Ltd, Newbury

February 1964 purchased by Marine Salvage and Survey Services Ltd, Croydon and renamed CONSTELLATION

1966 Purchased by Overseas and General Brokerage Finance Co Ltd ( W.J. Sutton, Manager) London name unchanged

1968 Purchased by Southwold Marine Aggregates Ltd, Southwold and renamed CAREYNA

1972 Purchased by Carter and Ward of Wickford Ltd, Wickford name unchanged

January 1977 Purchased for demolition by Metal Recoveries Ltd, Newhaven

 

Additional information

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.