C641 

Candourity-09

C641 after being sold out of service and renamed Candourity

 

Previous name:
Subsequent name:              CANDOURITY

Official Number:                  180837

Class:                                 Coal Lighter

Pennant No:                       X125

Laid down:
Builder:                              Yarwood, Northwich
Launched:                          25 September 1945
Into Service:                       March 1946
Out of service:                    1956 sold out of service
Fate:                                 Broken Up

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:   Naval Stores harbour craft were usually allocated a number bearing the prefix C. This descended from the days when the Coaling Officer operated the fuelling craft and many of these craft were operated by the Naval Stores Department under the Director of Stores (Navy) C numbers were allocated to craft such as dumb barges, coal lighters, dumb coal lighters, self-propelled diesel lighters, self-propelled stores lighters, launches and tugs of which a number were registered as RFA’s and wore the ‘green stripe’ that indicated the Naval Stores Department

 

25 September 1945 launched by  W..J. Yarwood & Sons (1938) Ltd, Northwich as Yard Nr 773 named C641for the Naval Stores Department

March 1946 completed

22 November 1947 arrived the River Tyne from Chatham

10 January 1949 Captain A Smith appointed as Master and Mr William Gordon appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

14 April 1949 at Dunfermline Police Court Chief Engineer Officer William Gordon admitted assault and breach of the peace. He was fined £4

 C641 Press Report

Press report from the Evening Telegraph

1 June 1949 arrived the River Tyne from Rosyth

11 July 1949 at Rosyth

10 January 1950 at Rosyth

10 March 1950 at Chatham

1956 on disposal list at Sheerness

May 1956 bought by F.T.Everard & Sons Ltd and named changed to CANDOURITY

5 July 1956 notice of change of name given in The Times of this day to 'Candourity'

January 1958 converted to oil fuel burning

1958 rebuilt as a tanker; tonnages now 474 grt   225 nrt   570 dwt and dimensions now 165’01” x 28’03” x 10’05½”

8 January 1962 had engine trouble off Breaksea Point in severe weather.  A tug eventually got a hawser to her and towed her to Barry Roads

June 1969 sold for demolition by Van den Bosche & Co at Boom

18 June 1969 sailed in tow from the Thames

19 June 1969 arrived Antwerp enroute to breakers

Additional information

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.