c620
 
RFA C620

 


Subsequent name:   

Official Number:                              169826                                                               

Class:                                            Stores Lighter

Pennant No:

Laid down:
Builder:                                          Jas Pollack, Sons & Co Ltd, Beverley
Launched:                                       13 January 1944
Into Service:                                    April 1944
Out of service:
Fate:                                              1966 sold for demolition

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:   Naval Stores harbour craft were usually allocated a number bearing the prefix C. This descended from the days when the Coaling Officer operated the fuelling craft and many of these craft were operated by the Naval Stores Department  under the Director of Stores (Navy) C numbers were allocated to craft such as dumb barges, coal lighters, dumb coal lighters, self-propelled diesel lighters, self-propelled stores lighters, launches and tugs of which a number were registered as RFA’s and wore the ‘green stripe’ that indicated the Naval Stores Department

 

 

13 January 1944 launched by Jas Pollack,Sons & Co Ltd, Beverley as Yard Nr: 1831 named C620 for the Naval Stores Department

1944 completed

8 September 1944 at Plymouth alongside HMS BELLONA delivering naval stores

12 September 1944 at Plymouth alongside HMS BELLONA delivering naval stores

1966 purchased for demolition by H.G. Pounds & Co Ltd, Portsmouth

Additional information

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.