York Castle

 

York Castle

 

Official Number:                         112849

Laid down:

Builder:                                      Sir J Laing & Sons Ltd., Deptford Yard, Sunderland

Pennant Number:                       Y 3.1628 / D 1862

Launched:                                  5 March 1901

Into Service:                               30 December 1916

Out of service:                            1919

Fate:                                          4q / 1932 broken up

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to serve as Collier and a Transport

Career Data:

 

5 March 1901 launched by Sir J Laing & Sons Ltd., Deptford Yard, Sunderland as Yard Nr: 582 named York Castle for Union Castle Mail Steamship Co., London

May 1901 completed

28 July 1902 the Shields Daily News reported that --

28 7 1902 ss York Castle on fire in bunkers

1 April 1914 arrived at Cape Town from New York

18 November 1914 off Grand Canaria challenged by HMS ARGONAUT and allowed to proceed

28 November 1914 arrived at Greenock from Beira

26 February 1915 sailed from St Vincent, Cape Verde Islands

19 April 1915 sighted by the Armed Merchant Cruiser HMS LACONIA at approximately 26°38S  33°57E

19 June 1916 sailed Cape Town

30 December 1916 requisitioned for Admiralty service as a Transport carrying wheat from Australia - name unchanged - until 24 May 1917

25 May 1917 re-deployed on Italian Government Service as a collier until 27 June 1917

28 June 1917 re-deployed as a Transport carrying wheat from the United States until 17 November 1917

18 November 1917 re-deployed as a collier until 31 January 1918

1 February 1918 re-deployed by the Commercial Branch as a Transport carrying sulphur from the United States to the United Kingdom then deployed by the Commercial Branch (Military a/c) as a Transport carrying nitrate until 19 August 1918

20 August 1918 re-deployed as an Expeditionary Force Transport carrying stores between the United States and France until transfered to the Liner Section on 7 December 1918

25 April 1920 sailed from Durban

1925 sold to Ing. Gio. Batta Bibolini, Genoa and renamed San Terenzo

4th Quarter 1932 reported as broken up at Genoa by Italian ship breakers

 

 

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.