Zamora

 

 Zamora

 

Official Number:                       120582 

Laid down:

Builder:                                   J L Thompson & Sons Ltd., North Sands, Sunderland

Pennant No:                            Y 3.378

Launched:                               5 June 1905

Into Service:                            14 October 1914

Out of service:                         1918

Fate:                                      April 1959 broken up

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:  One of a group of additional ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the RFA

Career Data:

 

5 June 1905 launched by J L Thompson & Sons Ltd., North Sands, Sunderland as Yard No: 432 named Zamora for Turner, Brightman & Co., London

July 1905 completed

14 October 1914 requisitioned for Admiralty service as a collier - name unchanged - until 17 November 1915

2 December 1914 at Jamestown, St Helena anchorage alongside HMS DEFENCE supplying 960 tons of bunker coal

8 December 1914 at Jamestown, St Helena anchorage alongside HMS DARTMOUTH supplying 210 tons of bunker coal

10 December 1914 at Jamestown, St Helena anchorage alongside HMS DARTMOUTH supplying 180 tons of bunker coal

29 December 1914 at Walfisch Bay alongside HMS ASTRAEA supplying 275 tons of bunker coal

1 January 1915 at Walfisch Bay alongside HMS ASTRAEA supplying bunker coal

8 January 1915 at Walfisch Bay alongside HMS ASTRAEA supplying 158 tons of bunker coal

11 January 1915 at Walfisch Bay alongside HMS AFRIKANDER supplying bunker coal

17 January 1915 at Walfisch Bay alongside HMS ASTRAEA supplying 161 tons of bunker coal

26 July 1915 while on passage to Simontown, South Africa passed HMS KINFAUNS CASTLE

13 October 1915 at Simonstown, South Africa left dock and anchored

9 November 1915 at Simonstown, South Africa entered dock

3 February 1916 re-deployed as a collier until 18 March 1916

24 June 1916 re-deployed as a collier until 12 July 1916

13 July 1916 re-deployed as a collier to Northern Russia for Russian Government a/c and then released to Hudson's Bay Co., London until 28 August 1916

15 November 1916 re-deployed as a collier until 23 December 1916

24 December 1916 re-deployed as a transport carrying wheat initially from the River Plate area and then from the Gulf of Mexico until 4 March 1917

5 March 1917 re-deployed as a collier until 15 May 1917

16 May 1917 re-deployed as a collier to Northern Russia for Russian Government a/c until 19 February 1918

20 February 1918 re-deployed as a collier

7 November 1918 at Mejillones, Chile at anchor

8 November 1918 at Mejillones, Chile moved alongside HMS OPHIR and supplied 500 tons of bunker coal

16 November 1918 arrived at Valparaiso, Chile

18 November 1918 and 19 November 1918 at Valparaiso, Chile alongside HMS OPHIR and supplied 457 tons of bunker coal

7 January 1919 at Callos, Peru alongside HMS BERWICK supplying bunker coal

HMS Berwick 1902

HMS BERWICK

5 February 1919 at Coquimbo alongside HMS BERWICK supplying bunker coal

4 March 1919 & 5 March 1919 alongside HMS BERWICK supplying 600 tons of bunker coal

1926 purchased by "Z" Steamship Co. Ltd., London - name unchanged

1928 purchased by Brockabeck Steamship Co Ltd., London and renamed Brockabeck

1932 purchased by Mrs M Suurmann, Tallinn and renamed Keila

5 October 1939 sailed from Viipuri independently

7 October 1939 sailed from Kotka independently arriving at Boston 16 December 1939

29 December 1939 sailed from Boston independently to Baltimore arriving 30 December 1939

7 January 1940 sailed Baltimore independently to Buenos Aires arriving 5 February 1940

6 February 1940 sailed Buenos Aires independently to Rosario arriving the next day

22 February 1940 sailed Rosario independently to Buenos Aires arriving the next day

29 February 1940 sailed Buenos Airies independently to Cape Verde Islands arriving 25 March 1940

26 March 1940 sailed Cape Verde Islands independently to Stornaway arriving 11 April 1940

12 April 1940 sailed Stornaway to the River Clyde independently arriving 14 April 1940

1940 came under the auspices of MoWT under management of Neil & Hannah, London - name unchanged

3 May 1940 sailed the River Clyde in escorted convoy OB141 until dispersal on 6 May 1940 and then independently to Lisbon arriving 12 May 1940

1951 purchased by Cia Naviera Linda S A, Panama and renamed Linda

April 1959 arrived Krimpen a/d Ijssel for demolition by P Heuvelman

 

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.