The Viceroy

The Viceroy after being renamed Bellavale

 

Official Number:                     119197

Pennant No:                            

Laid down:

Builder:                                  Ailsa Shipbuilding Co Troon 

Launched:                               28 November 1904

Into Service:                            July 1915

Out of service:                         June 1916

Fate:                                      Wrecked 15 October 1941

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

 

Career Data:

 

28 November 1904 launched by Ailsa Shipbuilding Co, Troon as Yard Nr: 130 name THE VICEROY for John Hay, Glasgow

January 1905 completed

23 April 1914 entered Eastham Locks on the Manchester Ship Canal for Partington Coal Basin to load a cargo of coal and sailed Partington Coal Basin for Londonderry later in the day

6 February 1915 arrived at Ardrossan from Londonderry in ballast

1915 owners became J Hay & Sons, Glasgow

July 1915 requisitioned for Admiralty service as a Fleet Messenger - name unchanged

30 September 1915 Lieutenant Hugh McKinnon RNR discharged dead. He died in the Royal Naval Hospital, Haslar and he is buried in Glasgow (Sighthill) Cemetery in grave 5/P.5

McKinnonH

 

1 January 1916 the "pink list" of this day reported the ship was in the Mediterrean under the orders of the Vice Admiral, Eastern Mediterrean

June 1916 returned to her owners - name unchanged

9 September 1921 arrived Grangemouth from Treport in ballast

24 January 1923 sailed Grangemouth for London with a cargo of bricks

1 August 1923 arrive Bo'ness from Grangemouth in ballast

3 August 1923 sailed Bo'ness for Granville with a cargo of coal

1 June 1925 arrived Grangemouth from Immingham with a cargo of pig iron

5 April 1926 arrived Methil from Grangemouth in ballast

26 April 1926 sailed Methil for Jersey with a cargo of coal

26 May 1927 sailed Grangemouth for Shoreham with a cargo of coal

1928 purchased by John Kelly Ltd., Belfast and renamed BELLAVALE

15 October 1940 was wrecked 3 mils South of St. John's Point, Dundrum Bay while on passage from Dundalk to Ayr in ballast 

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.