No Image

Currently

Available

 

Official Number:                      106060

Laid down:

Builder:                                  Barclay, Curle & Co Ltd, Whiteinch

Launched:                              14 April 1896

Pennant No:                           G208 / Y 3.1564 / Y 2.220 / Y 8.93

Into Service:                            21 February 1917

Out of service:                         16 November 1918

Fate:                                      Bombed and sunk 27 March 1942

 

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

 

Career Data:

 

14 April 1896 launched by Barclay, Curle & Co Ltd., Whiteinch as Yard Nr: 403 named Mount Sephar for Smith & Service, Glasgow

May 1896 completed

1898 purchased by Union Steamship Co., Southampton and renamed Susquehanna for the owners' South Africa to New York cargo service

1900 owners became Union Castle Mail Steamship Co Ltd., (Donald Currie & Co., Managers) London - name unchanged

7 January 1916 on passage from Kilindini to Cape Town and sighted by the Armed Merchant Cruiser HMS ARMADALE CASTLE

21 February 1917 requisitioned for Admiralty service as an Expeditionary Force Transport carrying Armaments from the USA to the UK - name unchanged - until 13 May 1917

27 March 1917 being escorted by HMS JESSAMINE

14 May 1917 redeployed as a collier - name unchanged - until 25 June 1917

26 June 1917 redeployed as a sugar carrier from Cuba - name unchanged - until 28 August 1917

29 August 1917 redeployed as an ammunition carrier for the Russain Government until 21 December 1917

27 October 1917 during passage in a convoy from Hampton Roads to London directed by HMS CARRIGAN HEAD, a Commissioned Escort Ship, to leave the convoy with two other ships due to their slow speed and being unable to keep up with the other 24 ships and to steam to Sydney, Cape Breton

22 December 1917 redeployed as an Expeditionary Force Transport carry MT and Stores between London and Basra until 7 March 1918

8 March 1918 redeployed as a wheat carrier from Karachi until 1 May 1918

2 May 1918 redeployed as a Sugar carrier from Cuba

1 August 1918 became a Stores Carrier - name unchanged

16 November 1918 returned to her owners - name unchanged

1921 purchased by Denaby Shipping & Commercial Co (Denaby Coal Co., Managers) Brixham for use as a coal hulk at Brixham

1922 renamed London City by her owners

1924 owners became Denaby & Codeby Main Collieries, Brixham - name unchanged

27 March 1942 bombed and sunk by German aircraft at Brixham

 

 

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.