No Image

Currently

Available

 

 

Official Number:                     125142

Builder:                                   Ropner & Sons, Stockton

Pennant No:                  Y 3.394

Launched:                              7 November 1907

Into Service:                            19 October 1914

Out of service:                        23 July 1917

Fate:                                        12 August 1944 mined, beached & sank

                              

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

Career Data:

 

7 November 1907 launched by Ropner & Sons, Stockton as Yard Nr: 441 named Harlseywood for Constantine & Pickering Steamship Co (J Constantine, Manager) Hartlepool

December 1907 completed

19 October 1914 requisitioned for Admiralty service as a collier - name unchanged - until 23 July 1917

28 March 1915 at the Dardenelles the destroyer HMS USK berthed alongside and received naval stores and cast off.  Later the same day the destroyer HMS USK berthed alongside and received 55 tons of bunker coal

31 March 1915 at the Dardenelles the destroyer HMS USK berthed alongside and received 24 tons of bunker coal

5 April 1915 at the Dardenelles the destroyer HMS USK berthed alongside and received 90 tons of bunker coal

6 April 1915 at Tenedos  the destroyer HMS WELLAND berthed alongside and received 47 tons of bunker coal

8 April 1915 at Tenedos alongside the light cruiser HMS AMETHYST supplying 186 tons of bunker coal. Later at the Dardenelles the destroyer HMS USK berthed alongside and received 50 tons of bunker coal

10 April 1915 at 'Base' (believed Tenedos)  the destroyer HMS JED berthed alongside and received 48 tons of bunker coal

7 October 1915 to the 10 October 1915 at Busta Voe together with collier Barmoor alongside the Armed Merchant Cruiser HMS MANTUA supplying a total of 980 tons of bunker coal

15 October 1915 at Swarbacks Minn together with collier Barmoor alongside the Armed Merchant Cruiser HMS VIRGINIAN supplying a total of 744 tons of bunker coal

16 October 1915 at Swarbacks Minn together with collier Barmoor still alongside the Armed Merchant Cruiser HMS VIRGINIAN supplying a further total of 1,018 tons of bunker coal

31 October 1915 and 1 November 1915 at Busta Voe together with collier Westwood alongside the Armed Merchant Cruiser HMS VICTORIAN supplying a total of 1,005 tons of bunker coal

4 November 1915 and 5 November 1915 at Swarbacks Minn together with collier Westwood alongside the Armed Merchant Cruiser HMS CHANGUINOLA supplying a total of 1,000 tons of bunker coal

1918 owners became Joseph Constantine & Sons, Middlesborough - name unchanged

1921 owners became Wood Line Ltd., Middlesborough - name unchanged

27 April 1921 arrived at Ipswich from Beaumont, Texas via Southampton

17 August 1922 arrived at Hartlepool from Mobile

11 December 1922 arrived at Buenos Ayres from Gull Port

1923 purchased by Rederi A/B Protector (Olson & Wright, Managers) Stockholm and renamed Wright

1929 purchased by Lindhamns Rederi A/B (Edy, Persson, Manager) Lindhamn

1939 purchased by Rederi A.B Rex, Stockholm and renamed Namdo

12 August 1944 struck a mine at the entrance to the River Elbe and was beached while on passage from Lulea to Bremen carrying iron-ore

20 October 1944 was refloated but broke in two and sank

 

 

 

 

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.