No Image

Currently

Available

 

 

No Image

Currently

Available

 

Official Number:                     136963

Laid down:

Builder:                                  J L Thompson & Sons, North Sands, Sunderland

Pennant No:                           D 06 / Y 3.2392

Launched:                              21 February 1917

Into Service:                            6 December 1917

Out of service:                        1918

Fate:                                      4th Quarter 1949

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

Career Data:

 

21 February 1917 launched by J L Thompson & Sons, North Sands, Sunderland as Yard No: 515 named Eastern City for St Just Steamship Co Ltd., (W R Smith & Sons, Managers) Cardiff

9 July 1917 completed

6 December 1917 requisitioned for Admiralty service as an Expeditionary Force Transport - name unchanged - carrying British hay and oats until 11 October 1918

12 October 1918 re-deployed as a collier

1928 owners restyled as Reardon Smith Line Ltd., (S W R Smith & Sons Ltd., Managers) Cardiff - name unchanged

1933 sold to Nereus Steam Navigation Co Ltd., (E E Hadjilias, Manager) Syra and renamed Doris

4th Quarter of 1949 broken up at Antwerp by Belgian ship breakers

 

Notes:

Was the 2nd of 4 or 5 ships to bear this name for her original owners and was built as a replacement for an earlier vessel of the same name which had been sunk by gunfire on 9 April 1916

 

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.