Official Number:                       118657

Laid down:

Builder:                                   Short Bros. Ltd., Pallion Yard, Sunderland

Launched:                               8 April 1905

Pennant No:                            Y 3.175

Into Service:                           11 August 1914

Out of service:                         1917

Fate:                                      Sunk by sabotage 15 November 1944


Items of historic interest involving this ship: -


Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA


Career Data:


8 April 1905 launched by Short Bros. Ltd., Pallion Yard, Sunderland as Yard Nr: 325 named Cairnavon for Cairn Line of Steamships Ltd., (Cairns, Noble & Co Ltd., Managers), Newcastle

June 1905 completed

17 July 1905 sailed River Tyne for Calais

17 August 1905 at Rotterdam

11 October 1905 sailed Calais for Barry

11 February 1906 anchored off Lundy Island

1 November 1906 arrived at Cardiff

11 August 1914 requisitioned for Admiralty service as a collier - name unchanged - until 10 October 1914

11 November 1914 passed the Lloyds Signal Station on Flamorough Head sailing north

28 January 1915 arrived at Methil from Rouen, France

25 April 1915 re-deployed as a collier until 4 July 1917

21 April 1917 sailed from St Helens, Isle of Wight in a convoy of eleven other ships towards Caen Roads and escorded by HMS's SAPPER, PUFFIN, LUCKNOW and MERLIN

5 July 1917 re-deployed as an Expeditionary Force Transport carrying ammunition empties

7 September 1917 was transferred to the Commercial Branch on Norwegian services

1917 sold to Chr. Salvesen & Co., Leith - name unchanged

17 December 1918 berthed at Liverpool from Sarpsborg

1919 renamed Soutra by her owners

1927 owners became South Georgia Co Ltd., (Chr. Salvesen & Co., Managers), Leith - name unchanged

1937 sold to Oy Wildfart Ltd., (Holger Lillestrand, Managers) Munksnas and renamed Emmi

1940 seized by German Forces at Trondheim, placed under the management of Leth & Co., Hamburg and renamed Schirmeck

May 1941 owners now Kriegsmarine and renamed Sperrbrecher 66

5 July 1941 renamed Sperrbrecher 166

31 January 1944 placed under the management of Reederei Helmsing & Grimm, Danzig and name reverted to Schirmeck


schirmeck 0


29 September 1944 sank after a collision with Bahia Camarones at Copenhagen. Was later raised

15 November 1944 was sabotaged while undergoing repairs and sank. Was later raised and scrapped




Was the 2nd of 4 ships to bear this name in the Cairn Line fleet





Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.