Class: GATLING CLASS Armament Stores Carrier
Pennant No: A 377
Builder: Lobnitz & Co Ltd, Renfrew
Launched: 6 August 1945
Into Service: 14 November 1945
Out of service:
Fate: Scrapped 15 November 1977
Items of historic interest involving this ship: -
Background Information: - One of a group of five coasters which were not normally classed as RFA’s They are included here as the ancestors of the more modern ammunition ships These five ships were designed by the Director of Naval Construction to the requirements of the Naval Armament Department. They were designed for Pacific Operations to carry ammunition from larger ships offshore which were of too deep a draught to go close inshore to the coastal areas or small harbours and had their bottoms strengthened to permit grounding when loaded if required. This was a 1943 plan connected with a future invasion of Japan. As there was no requirement to carry large naval guns they were provided with two cargo holds. The order for them was placed in October 1944 and none of them was completed before the end of hostilities, which meant that only one of them (GATLING) was needed to proceed to the Far east to assist in the rehabilitation of Singapore. GATLING and NORDENFELT were completed to mercantile standards and were registered and classed with Lloyds Register and were run on National Maritime Board conditions, while the other three were on “Yard Craft” Dockyard agreements and were completed with naval style accommodation.
6 August 1945 launched by Lobnitz & Co Ltd, Renfrew as Yard Nr 1086 named MAXIM
14 November 1945 completed with naval-type accommodation
30 November 1945 sailed Hollyhead for Plymouth
19 May 1948 passed the Lloyds Signal Station on the Lizard sailing east
27 August 1948 passed the Lloyds Signal Station on the Lizard sailing east
10 September 1948 passed the Lloyds Signal Station on the Lizard sailing west
3 March 1949 passed the Lloyds Signal Station on the Lizard sailing west
15 June 1953 was part of the Coronation Fleet Review at Spithead
13 March 1960 was anchored about two miles off Harwich, Essex when the ship's liberty boat got into difficulties and over turned. Eight crew members in the boat were thrown into the water. Six were rescued, albeit requiring hospital treatment for exposure and two others - a Stoker Harris and Ordinary Seaman G Crumpton both from Devonport were lost.
15 November 1977 arrived Briton Ferry for demolition by T.W. Ward Ltd.
- Based at Naval Armaments Depots Milford Haven and Plymouth between 1945 to 1959